|Also known as||
|Directed by||Kudret Sabanci|
|Country of origin||Turkey|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||90|
|Executive producer(s)||Erol Avci|
|Original network||Kanal D|
|Original release||October 7, 2006– May 12, 2009|
Binbir Gece (English: One Thousand and One Nights) is a soap opera revolving around two Turkish characters, Sehrazat and Onur. The story is loosely based on the story One Thousand and One Nights, better known as Arabian Nights. It stars the biggest actor of Turkey, Halit Ergenç, as Onur, his wife Bergüzar Korel as Şehrazat (who married after the finale), Tardu Flordun as Kerem, and Ceyda Düvenci as Bennu.
Şehrazat is an aspiring architect who is in desperate need for additional money to pay for the treatment of her son, Kaan, who is suffering from leukemia. After pleading to borrow money from several sources, she is stuck with her boss, Onur, who will give her the money she needs for Kaan's treatment. However, there is a catch: Onur will only give her the money if she agrees to spend a night with him at his residence.
Şehrazat (portrayed by Berguzar Korel) is a talented architect who works at a construction company owned by Onur Halit Ergenc and Kerem Tardu Flordun. She lost her husband and is devastated, once more, when she learns that her five-year-old son suffers from leukemia and needs an urgent and very expensive treatment. She is able to raise a quarter of the money, but still needs a large portion. Although she is unwanted by her rich father-in-law because he accuses her of killing his son (her late husband), she begs for him to give her money but is cruelly rejected. As a last chance, Sehrazat tries to receive the money as a loan from her boss, Onur, who is secretly attracted to her. Onur accepts to give her the money on one condition: that she spends a night with him. This indecent offer, which turns the life of Sehrazat upside down, becomes the beginning of a spiraling tale in which Sehrazat is trapped.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||29||October 7, 2006||June 19, 2007|
|2||37||September 11, 2007||June 3, 2008|
|3||24||September 16, 2008||May 12, 2009|
- Halit Ergenç as Onur Aksal
- Bergüzar Korel as Sehrazat Eviliyaoglu
- Ceyda Düvenci as Bennu Ataman
- Tardu Flordun as Kerem Inceoglu
- Mehmet Polat as Erdal Karayolcu
- Canan Ergüder as Eda Akinay
- Efe Çinar as Kaan Eviliyaoglu
- Meral Çetinkaya as Feride Aksal
- Aytaç Öztuna as Seval Inceoglu
- Mert Firat as Burak Inceoglu
- Yeliz Akkaya as Melek Ataman
- Sebnem Köstem as Handan
- Nihat Ileri as Semih Özsener
- Duygu Çetinkaya as Sezen Özsener
- Metin Çekmez as Burhan Eviliyaoglu
- Tomris Incer as Nadide Eviliyaoglu
- Ergün Demir as Ali Kemal Eviliyaoglu
- Yonca Cehver Yenel as Füsun Eviliyaoglu
- Füsun Kostak as Yansel
- Bartu Küçükçaglayan as Gani
- Feyzan Çapa / Gizem Günes as Buket Eviliayoglu
- Hazal Gürel as Burcu Eviliyaoglu
- Nehir Nil Karakaya as Burcin Eviliyaoglu
- Metin Belgin as Zafer Gündüzalp
- Merih Ermakastar as Mert
- Ayla Algan as Betül
- Melahat Abbasova as Mihriban
- Suphi Tekniker as Yalcin
- Zeynep Konan as Zeynep
- Nihan Durukan as Aysen
- Ayce Abana as Beyza
- Nuray Uslu as Sevgi
- Feridun Düzagaç as Özcan
- Ismail Düvenci as Ismail
- Teoman Kumbaracibasi as Yaman
- Sennur Kaya as Firdevs
- Ebru Aykaç as Yasemin
- Erdal Bilingen as Hakan
- Karina Gükrer as Nihmet
- Nazli Ceren Argon as Ayse
- Hazel Çamlidere as Ahu
- Ayben Erman as Neriman
- Alptekin Serdengeçti as Haldun
- Dilara Kavadar as Nilüfer
- Nilüfer Silsupur / Ahu Sungur as Jale
- Ege Aydan as Engin
- Ezgi Asaroglu as Duru
Binbir Gece was a Big Hit of The Year in Chile, where its success resulted in Chileans mass-naming their babies Onur (for boys) & Sheherzadae (for girls). It is being played in the United States, Argentina, Russia, and Brazil, where it is leading the charts. It is also hit of the year in Pakistan in the Turkish Dramas Category.
The series became a primetime hit in Bosnia, Montenegro and Macedonia, as well as in Romania, Albania and Greece. It has increased the popularity of Istanbul as a tourist destination among Croatians, and led to a greater interest in learning Turkish.
The series originally aired from October 7, 2006 to May 12, 2009 on Kanal D. It has been aired in more than 55 countries. The series aired in Chile on Mega from March 3, 2014 until January 4, 2015. The series aired in Brazil on Band from March 9, 2015 until September 15, 2015.
The major TV awards ceremony in Turkey (often dubbed as the Turkish Oscars), the Altın Kelebek, (Golden Butterfly Awards) resulted with 3 wins for the series.
|34th Golden Butterfly Awards||Best Drama Series||Binbir Gece||Won|
|Best Actor||Halit Ergenc||Won|
|Best Actress||Bergüzar Korel||Won|
- "¿Cómo luce hoy el pequeño Kaan de 'Las Mil y Una Noches?". ecuavisa.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Marzolph, Ulrich (2007-01-01). The Arabian Nights in Transnational Perspective. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0814332870.
- ""Binbir Gece" Preparing to Invade Russia". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- ""1001 Nights" is Continuing to take Latin America by Storm". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish TV Series to Exceed £350m in 2015". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish Series Become a Phenom on Chilean Television". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Turkish Soaps Under The Spotlight in Chile". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "First Turkish Drama Shown in Latin America". Izleyiciplatformu.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Soap power: The sweeping success of Turkish television series". Oxford Business Group.
- "Retailers cashing in on Croatia´s obsession with Turkish soap". Croatian Times. September 30, 2010.[dead link]
- "Cómo Turquía está cambiando el mercado de las teleseries de A. Latina". bbc.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- "Las mil y una noches llegará a Brasil, Perú, Bolivia y EEUU hispano". todotvnews.com (in Spanish). Retrieved October 10, 2015.