Type of site
|Search engine, news aggregator|
|Launched||June 3, 2009|
Bing News (previously Live Search News)–a news aggregator powered by artificial intelligence–is a part of Microsoft's Bing search engine, which processes billions of global searches. Operating in the United States and other international markets, Bing News displays the latest news stories on Bing.com/News on desktop and mobile, the Bing Search app, and through enterprise streams such as the Outlook News Connector, PowerBI and Bing for business. Bing News also aggregates the most recent news articles in response to user search queries algorithmically on Bing.com.
News headlines from various sources are aggregated and categorized into sections for users to browse, which include most read, trending, and breaking news stories as well as category-specific articles in areas such as business, politics, sports, science, tech and entertainment. The Bing News page also displays special events of national or global interest such as the U.S. presidential elections, Olympics, and award shows.
Bing News also allow users to type in a search term to browse through an archive of news articles relevant to the search query. In addition, users may refine their results by location and category, or search with an alternative related search term. RSS support was added on April 24, 2008, providing support for subscription to a specific news category or search results. In March 2011 Microsoft added Twitter "tweets" to its news results.
In August 2015 Microsoft announced that Bing News for mobile devices added algorithmic-deduced "smart labels" that essentially act as topic tags, allowing users to click through and explore possible relationships between different news stories. The feature emerged as a result from Microsoft research that found out about 60% of the people consume news by only reading headlines, rather than read the articles. Other labels that have been deployed since then include publisher logos and fact-check tags.
In June 2016, Bing News PubHub (pubhub.bing.com) launched, allowing publishers to submit their news sites for consideration of inclusion in Bing News. Distribution streams for the Bing Publisher Network extend beyond Bing News and Bing.com to Windows 10's Cortana, the Outlook News Connector, and the Bing search app on iOS and Android.
Bing News provides Industry News for Bing for Business, an enterprise search experience for Office 365 and Microsoft 365 using artificial intelligence and Microsoft Graph announced at the 2017 Microsoft Ignite Conference. The Bing for business Industry News delivers a personalized newsfeed about the organization's activities, competitors, and industry.
- Halfacree, Gareth (17 April 2008). "Microsoft launches news aggregator". Bit-Tech.
- Oswald, Edward (5 February 2013). "Microsoft adds one more news aggregator to the mix". Beta News.
- "Bringing more text analytics to the Bing News Solution Template | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI". powerbi.microsoft.com. Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- Protalinski, Emil (17 April 2008). "Live Search News tries to combine Google News and Techmeme. As part of a broader revamp to its Live Search service, Microsoft has quietly …". Ars Technica.
- Ha, Anthony (16 April 2008). "Live Search News: Just in case you wanted more Microsoft-Google competition". VentureBeat.
- Sterling, Greg (28 May 2009). "Microsoft's Bing Vs Google: Head To Head Search Results". Search Engine Land.
- Live Search Official Team Blog: We’ve revamped News Search!
- Schwartz, Barry (23 March 2011). "Bing News Adds Tweets To News Results". Search Engine Land.
- Wilson, Mark (20 August 2015). "Bing News now connects related stories to give readers better context". Beta News.
- "Monthly Search Experiences: Machine learning object recognition, Spotlight news, and more". Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- "Bing helps publishers expand their reach". Retrieved 2018-03-21.
- "Finding what you need at work just got easier with Bing for business". Retrieved 2018-03-21.