First Street in Bingham
|Elevation||3,894 ft (1,187 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||827448|
Bingham is an unincorporated community in southeastern Sheridan County, Nebraska, United States. It lies along Nebraska Highway 2 south-southeast of the city of Rushville, the county seat of Sheridan County. Its elevation is 3,894 feet (1,187 m). Although Bingham is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 69335.
The Bingham post office was established in 1888. The origin of the name Bingham is obscure. Two sources speculate it might be the name of a pioneer settler, railroad official or of a place in Minnesota.
- Rand McNally. The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 62.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bingham, Nebraska, Geographic Names Information System, 1979-03-09. Accessed 2008-04-26.
- Zip Code Lookup Archived June 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Sheridan County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- Exploring Nebraska Highways: Trip Trivia. Exploring America's Highway. 2007. p. 68. ISBN 978-0-9744358-7-9.
- Fitzpatrick, Lillian L. (1960). Nebraska Place-Names. University of Nebraska Press. p. 133. ISBN 0-8032-5060-6. A 1925 edition is available for download at University of Nebraska—Lincoln Digital Commons.
|This Nebraska state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|