|Other names||TheRecycleMan of India, Waste Warrior of India, Swachchta Warrior of India|
|Occupation||Inventor, Environmentalist, Social Entrepreneur|
|Years active||2009 - present|
|Spouse(s)||Dhriti Desai (m-2018)|
Binish Desai is an Indian environmentalist, innovator and social activist from Gujarat. He is known as Waste Warrior and Recycle Man of India for recycling more than 917 tonnes of Industrial waste. Dr Binish Desai is a Padma Shri nominee 2018. He is the founder of Eco-Eclectic Technologies. He is also praised for his work by former President of India late Dr Abdul Kalam. Binish is helping country to make it clean and is the part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan which is a nation-wide campaign launched by Hon. prime minister of India Sri. Narendra Modi in 2014.
‘The Recycle Man’; a book based on the life and works of Dr. Binish Desai, is written by author Dr. Nikhil Chandwani and published by Raindrop Publishers.
He is in the list of Asia's 2018, Forbes 30 Under 30.
Binish was born on 12 August 1993 in Valsad, Gujarat. His grandfather Shri Bhupendrabhai M. Desai was one of the most renowned Charted Accountants in Valsad. Binish started his journey as an environmentalist at the age of 10 by getting inspired from his childhood cartoon character Captain Planet and Dexters lab. He created first P-brick using industrial paper waste and chewing gum in 2005 at the age of 11.
Education & career
Binish did his schooling from St. Joseph's ET High School, Valsad and went Waukegan High School, USA for Higher Secondary education. He completed BSc Biotechnology from Veer Narmad South Gujarat University Surat, Gujarat. Binish earned MSc in Environmental Engineering from KEISIE Graduate School of International Education, USA and South Korea. He honored with PhD in Environmental Science and Engineering (Honorary Causa) from KEISIE International University, USA.
Binish founded B-Dream an eco-friendly and waste management company at the age of 16. He is recipients of many awards for his social service and honored at Rotary International Youth exchange program, USA.
Works and Inventions
Dr Binish founded Eco-Eclectic Technologies in 2016. Eco-Electic is a domestic and Industrial waste management company based in Gujarat. Under the Eco Eclectic Technologies, Binish recycled 917 tonnes of domestic & industrial waste. So far Binish's recycling work have reduced carbon emissions by 1300 metric tonnes.
Binish invented P-block bricks, made from the waste produced by paper mills. He uses 49 different types of waste materials to create building materials. He has built 70 homes and 1000 toilets for poor citizens in slum areas of India till 2019. Bricks made with industrial waste have a shelf life of 80 years.
Binish also invented eco-friendly lamps and chandeliers which are made from secondary paper sludge waste. This is called Eclectic Mini. 7kg of waste is used to make one electic-mini.
Other inventions include Paver blocks made from Metal, textile and paper waste , furniture panels made from human hair , sound proof panels made from fabric lint. Vitrified tiles made from various waste, absorbent, artificial wood etc.
Indian film actor Shri. Amitabh Bachchan stated about Binish Desai:
Awards & Honors
He is a Padma Shri nominee and has facilitated many national and international awards for his contributions to the society.
- Padma Shri nominee 2018
- "Rotary International Alumni Humanitarian of the Year" award for South Asia
- Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia 2018 list of successful Social Entrepreneurs
- News 24 Jashan e Youngistan Social Innovator of the Year
- Recycle Man & Waste Warrior of India
- Paul Harris Fellow
- JCI Valsad Nagarratna Special Citizen award
- Binish was interviewed by Shri Amitabh Bachchan in a live event NDTV Cleanathon, 14 December 2014.
- Binish spoke at YEO pre-convention of RI convention in Toronto, 2018
- In 2012 Shri Narendra Modi during his visit to Valsad, invited Binish to present his works and he got a token of appreciation
- Founder, Eco-Eclectic Technologies
- Managing Partner, Empirical Eco Solutions
- Technical Partner, Wockhardt Foundation
- Founder, Chief Advisor, Eco Lights Studio
- Chief Advisor, King and Royal Family of Dang
- Chief Business Officer, Hitansh Eco Estates
- Chairman, BDream Group (2010-16)
- Eco Advisor , Mandi Wholesale
- Eco Advisor, Nav Textiles
- Project Head, Ecovative-YashPapers India
- Member, Vadodara Innovation Council
- Alumni Co Chairman , RI dist. 3060
- Charter President, Rotary Club of Vibrant Valsad, dist. 3060
- Waste Warrior of India 2016-17
- Swachhta Warrior of India 2017-18
Dr Binish Desai started Eco Light Studio in for empowering women in India. He provided jobs for needy women in the villages. His wife Dhriti Desai is CEO of Eco Lights Studio and runs the women empowerment center in partnership with Rotary Club of Vibrant Valsad.
Dr. Binish Desai is an active Rotarian and has been associated with Rotary International through its programs like rotary youth exchange program. He became a Rotarian in 2015 one of the youngest Rotarians of the district and then chartered a new club in 2018 Rotary Club of Vibrant Valsad.
Dr Binish also runs Punaravrutti Education program that educates school and college students on the importance of waste management.
Binish got married to Dhriti Desai in December 2018.
- Jun 4, tnn. "MSU engg students to organize TEDx Sayajigunj on June 10 | Vadodara News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Leading from Behind summit by Jombay sets the tone for young leaders for 2019". Deccan Chronicle. 2 February 2019.
- "Now a book on The Recycle Man, a journey of a social entrepreneur, Binish Desai". dailypress.com.
- Coachman, Community Contributor Johnattan. "Now a book on The Recycle Man, a journey of a social entrepreneur, Binish Desai". chicagotribune.com.
- "Meet The Illustrious Jury Members Who Will Pick 50 of India's Best Young Innovators!". The Better India. 29 March 2019.
- May 6, TNN. "Valsad's 'recycle man' shows way from waste | Surat News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Binish Desai". Forbes.
- "This 23-Year-Old Makes Bricks out of Industrial Waste & Uses Them to Build Toilets in Rural Areas". The Better India. 16 May 2017.
- "Firstpost Salon | Why India needs innovative methods to tackle its waste problem: In conversation with Binish Desai(Firstpost salon) - Firstpost". Firstpost.
- "30 Under 30 Asia 2018: Social Entrepreneurs". Forbes.
- International, Rotary (19 April 2018). "Rotary alum turns trash into treasure". Rotary Voices.
- Jun 11, TNN. "TEDx: Speakers ignite young minds at TEDx | Vadodara News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Dr. Binish Desai: The Waste Warrior & Recycle Man Revivifying the Lives of Uneducated Rural People | CEOInsights Vendor". www.ceoinsightsindia.com.
- "Waste is Gold – if you know how to mine it". Sustainability Zero. 20 November 2018.
- "Meet The 23-Yr-Old Who Built 1,000 Toilets Using Industrial Wastes & Empowered Unskilled Women In Gujarat". The Logical Indian. 21 August 2017.
- "Eco Economical Solutions". indiawater.gov.in.
- "TEDxSayajigunj | TED". www.ted.com.
- "TEDxGateway - India's Largest Ideas Conference - Independently Organized TED Event". TEDxGateway - India's Largest Ideas Platform (Mumbai, India).
- "TEDxLaxmiVidyapeeth | TED". www.ted.com.
- "Need Inspiration? Passion? Determination? Don't Miss These 5 TEDxGateway Speakers". The Better India. 20 November 2018.
- "TEDxGateway 2018: Raghu Rai, Shanta Rau Barriga, Gitanjali Rao, others share transforming ideas at 10th edition of the event". Firstpost.
- Official Gazette of the United States Patent and Trademark Office: Patents. U.S. Department of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office. 2002.
- Goel, Damini (27 November 2017). "This 24-year-old is building the world's cheapest toilets in the remotest regions of India". Edex Live. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "Trash To Toilets: At 11 He Came Up With The Idea Of Making Bricks From Waste. At 23, He Is Making It A Reality | Waste Management". NDTV-Dettol Banega Swachh India. 23 May 2017.
- Nikhil Chandwani (5 June 2019). The Recycle Man. Raindrops Publishers. p. 2. ISBN 978-9388259347.
- "Anushka Sharma, PV Sindhu Among 65 Indians Named in Forbes' Asia List of '30 Under 30'". Little India: Overseas Indian, NRI, Asian Indian, Indian American. 30 March 2018.
- "Trendsetter Binish Desai to be felicitated at Jashn e Youngistan Conclave - News24online | DailyHunt Lite". Dailyhunt.
- "News24 honours innovation king, recycle man Binish Desai - News24online | DailyHunt Lite". Dailyhunt.
- International, Rotary (23 August 2016). "Living a Rotary dream". Rotary Voices.
- "Binish Desai, A Social Entrepreneur Is Lighting The World By Recycling And Using Waste". NDTV.com.
- "Meet the "Recycle Man" Who Builds Toilets For the Poor From Paper Trash". Causeartist. 26 April 2019.