Binyamina train station suicide bombing
|Binyamina train station suicide bombing|
Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign
|Date||July 16, 2001
|Deaths||2 IDF soldiers (+1 bomber)|
|Perpetrators||The Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack.|
The suicide bomber was 20-year-old Nidal Shaduf, from a village near Jenin. After infiltrating Israel, he entered Binyamina. It has been theorized that he intended to blow himself up inside the crowded railway station, but found he could not enter due to a heavy police presence and stringent security measures. As a result, he detonated at a soldiers' bus stop near the train station, waiting until it began filling with people before detonating.
The suicide bomber detonated at 7:35 PM. Two Israel Defense Forces (IDF) soldiers were killed, and six people were injured, two of them seriously.
- Staff Sergeant Avi Ben-Harush, 20, of Zikhron Ya'akov
- Corporal Hanit Arami, 19, of Zikhron Ya'akov
Israeli security forces immediately froze all train traffic between Tel Aviv and Haifa. Israeli Police set up a dragnet to capture a vehicle which had been seen dropping the bomber off, using patrol cars, special forces, and helicopters, but without success. Several Palestinians illegally in Israel were caught in the area and taken into custody.
Both the United States and Palestinian Authority condemned the attack.
- "Suicide Bomber Kills 2 Israeli Soldiers; 3rd Is Badly Wounded - New York Times". Nytimes.com. 2001-07-17. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "נזכור את כולם". Izkor.mod.gov.il. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "ynet "אין לי מה לחפש כאן יותר" - חדשות". Ynet.co.il. 1995-06-20. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- פרסום ראשון: כ"ו תמוז תשס"א, 17/07/01 09:18. "הלויותיהם של רב"ט חנית ארמי הי"ד וסמ"ר אבי בן הרוש הי"ד -התקיימו היום בערב - בארץ - חדשות - ערוץ 7". Inn.co.il. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "נזכור את כולם". Izkor.mod.gov.il. 2001-07-16. Retrieved 2012-06-13.