This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||Euronext: BIM|
(CEO) Marcel Mérieux, Charles Mérieux
|Products||in vitro diagnostics|
|Revenue||€2,29 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|10 400 (2017)|
bioMérieux (Euronext: BIM) is a multinational biotechnology company founded and headquartered in France. bioMérieux is present in more than 150 countries through 42 subsidiaries and a large network of distributors.
bioMérieux provides diagnostic solutions (reagents, instruments, software) which determine the source of disease and contamination to improve patient health and ensure consumer safety. Its products are used for diagnosing infectious diseases and for cancer screening and monitoring and cardiovascular emergencies. They are also used for detecting microorganisms in agri-food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic products. bioMérieux is listed on the NYSE Euronext Paris stock exchange (BIM – ISIN: FR0010096479).
Marcel Mérieux, former assistant to Louis Pasteur founded in 1897 the Mérieux Biological Institute which was later to become Institut Mérieux. In 1963 Alain Mérieux founds BD Mérieux, of which he assumes total control of in 1973. BD Mérieux would later become bioMérieux. The company expands its services and offerings through product development, acquisitions and partnerships:
- Api Systems is acquired in 1986
- Vitek Systems is acquired in 1988
- Organon Teknika is acquired in 2001 from Akzo Nobel
- Acquisition of Bacterial Barcodes in 2006
- Acquisition of Biomedics (Spain) and BTF (Australia) in 2007
- Acquisition of AB Biodisk (Sweden), AviaraDx (bioTheragnostics today) (USA) and PML Microbiologicals (USA) in 2008
- Acquisition of Meikang Biotech and of Shanghai Zenka Biotechnology in 2010
- Acquisition of AES Laboratoire and Argene (France) in 2011
- Acquisition in 2012 of RAS (India), a specialist in molecular biology, and partnership with Quanterix for the development of a new generation of ultrasensitive, multiplex immunoassays.
- Acquisition in 2014 of BioFire Diagnostics Inc., a privately held US-based company specialized in molecular biology
- BioMerieux molecular biology affiliate BioFire, LLC. opens the Alain Mérieux Center for Molecular Diagnostics in Salt Lake City, Utah
Institut Mérieux, which belongs to the Mérieux family, is the main shareholder of bioMérieux. Jean-Luc Belingard is President. Alexandre Mérieux is General Director. *bioMérieux is listed on the stock exchange in 2004.