Biodanza (neologism from the Greek bio (life) and the Spanish danza (dance), literally the dance of life) is a system of self-development that uses music, movement and positive feelings to deepen self-awareness. It seeks to promote the ability to make a holistic link to oneself and one's emotions and to express them. Biodanza also claims to allow one to deepen the bonds with others and nature and to express those feelings congenially.
System of dance movement
Biodanza claims to be a "human integration system of organic renewal, of affective re-education, and of relearning of Life's original functions. Its application consists in leading vivencias through music, singing, movements and group encounter situations".
It is a method which aims the development of human capacities, including the feeling of happiness, communication skills and improving of relationships.
Biodanza was created in the 1960s by the Chilean anthropologist and psychologist Rolando Toro, the Biodanza system is now found in 54 countries, including Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Israel, India, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Venezuela, Australia, Japan, South Africa, United States, Ireland and Russia.
- (in Spanish) Toro, Rolando (2008). Biodanza, Editorial Cuarto Propio, Santiago, Chile. ISBN 978-956-260-433-8.  at Google Books
- (in Portuguese) "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- (in Spanish) on YouTube, CNN Chile 19 Feb 2010
- Making Slough Happy: a four-part series on Positive Psychology featuring Biodanza as one of the Happiness interventions: Episode 2, Tuesday 22 November 2005, BBC2
- "Feel the rhythm from head to heal". Telegraph.co.uk. 6 January 2007. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Dance the heart-ache away, Cosmopolitan 1997; Geoff Dalglish, Grab a Partner, Men's Health December 2000; Stress Busters 10, FHM, April 2004. -quoted at http://altairedstates.co.uk/
- O the Oprah magazine South Africa, January 2005 -quoted at http://altairedstates.co.uk/