|Producer||Clarivate Analytics (United States)|
|History||1926 to present|
|Record depth||Index & abstract|
Biological Abstracts is a database produced by Clarivate Analytics. It includes abstracts from peer-reviewed academic journal articles in the fields of biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, botany, pre-clinical and experimental medicine, pharmacology, zoology, agriculture, and veterinary medicine published since 1926.
The service began as a print publication in 1926, when it was formed by the union of Abstracts of Bacteriology (1917–25), and Botanical Abstracts (1919–26), both published in Baltimore by Williams and Wilkins. It was published in paperback subject sections, with abstracts usually written by scientist in the US, as a great many of articles in that period were in other languages. At the time of founding it was in competition with the classified indexing service of the Concilium Bibliographicum in Zurich.
The first online version was published on magnetic tape; it contained only the bibliographic information, not the text of the abstracts, and was intended as a rapid alerting service.
- Google Scholar
- List of academic databases and search engines
- Lists of academic journals
- List of open-access journals
- List of scientific journals
- "Biological Abstracts" (Online). Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- About "Biological Abstracts". Ovid Technologies, Inc. Archived from the original (Online) on 2011-09-29. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- "Wolters Kluwer | Ovid - Home".
- Sheehy, Guide to Reference Books, 10th ed.
- Burke, Colin B. (2014). Information and Intrigue: From Index Cards to Dewey Decimals to Alger Hiss. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. pp. 166–168 & 235–237. ISBN 978-0-262-02702-1.