|Episode no.||Season 3
|Directed by||Anthony Russo|
|Written by||Garrett Donovan
|Original air date||September 22, 2011|
"Biology 101" is the first episode of the third season of Community. The episode originally aired on September 22, 2011 on NBC. The episode picks up where the second season left off, with Pierce out of the group. The study group resumes class at Greendale and decides to enroll in Biology.
The study group decides to take a Biology class together, but Pierce soon faces problems when only six seats are available in the class. Jeff quickly makes enemies with their professor (Michael K. Williams) and is removed from the class, leaving an open slot for Pierce in both the class and their study group. Jeff's plans to reveal Pierce's relationship to the new professor backfires. Dean Pelton unwisely stokes a rivalry with Vice Dean Laybourne (John Goodman), the dean of the school's lucrative Air Conditioning Repair Annex. Abed becomes despondent when Cougar Town goes into hiatus and the group tries to cheer him up by introducing him to Cougarton Abbey, a British show that Cougar Town was based on. Unfortunately, that show was cancelled after six episodes, ending with the main characters committing mass suicide.
The episode was written by executive producers Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan, their first writing credit for the series. It was directed by executive producer Anthony Russo, his 12th directing credit for the series.
- In the season 2 finale "For a Few Paintballs More" Pierce says he's not coming back.
- Inspector Spacetime is Troy and Abed's favorite show and is mentioned throughout the series.
Biology 101 received generally positive reviews from critics.
- Seidman, Robert (September 23, 2011). "TV Rating Thursday: 'Big Bang Theory' Leads Night; 'X-Factor' Steady, Solid Starts For 'Whitney,' 'Person Of Interest'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- "Biology 101" at NBC.com
- "Biology 101" at the Internet Movie Database
- "Biology 101" at TV.com
- "Biology 101" at TV Tropes