This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Computer rendering of the Bionic Tower
|Location||Shanghai or Hong Kong, as both locations have the interest|
|Cost||USD $16 billion+.|
|Antenna spire||1,228.2 m (4,030 ft)|
|Roof||1,228.2 m (4,030 ft)|
|Lifts/elevators||368 elevators (15 m/s, with vertical and horizontal movement)|
The Bionic Tower (Torre Biónica) is a proposed vertical city, an extremely large building designed for human habitation by Spanish architects Eloy Celaya, María Rosa Cervera and Javier Gómez. It would have a main tower 1,228.2 metres (4,030 ft) high, with 300 stories housing approximately 100,000 people. The Bionic Tower would be exactly 400 meters taller than the current tallest building, Burj Khalifa. The point of the Bionic Tower is to use Bionics to solve the world's rising population problems in an eco-friendly way, an incredibly difficult feat to accomplish.
The Bionic Tower is composed of two complexes put together. The first complex, Bionic Tower, is made up of twelve vertical neighborhoods, each eighty meters high. The neighborhoods are separated by safety areas to make for easier construction and evacuation in case of an emergency. Each neighborhood has two groups of buildings, one on the interior of the building and one on the exterior. Both groups of buildings are situated around large gardens and pools. The second complex, called the Base Island, is 1,000 meters in diameter, and is made up of many buildings, gardens, pools, and communication infrastructures. Foreseen uses of these complexes include hotels, offices, residential, commerce, cultural, sports and leisure.
In 1997 work on the prototype Bionic Vertical Space began. This was developed by the architects Eloy Celaya, María Rosa Cervera and Javier Gómez through the beginning of 2001. However, Eloy Celaya, who studied at Columbia University, is developing another project similar to the Bionic Tower project.
- Authorship: Spanish architects Eloy Celaya, María Rosa Cervera and Javier Gómez.
- Urban model: vertical city.
- Inhabitants: 100,000.
- Height: 1,228.2 m (4,030 ft).
- Storeys: 300.
- Communication: 368 elevators (15 m/s, with vertical and horizontal movement).
- Footprint: 133 m (436 ft) x 110 m (361 ft) at base, expanding to 166 m (545 ft) x 133 m (436 ft) max.
- Area: 2,000,000 m2 (21,528,000 sq ft).
- Artificial base island: 1 km (0.6 mi) diameter.
- Structure: micro-structured high strength concrete (2 tonnes/cm^3 or 1372 MPa).
- Maximum sway: 2.45 m (8 ft) lateral displacement.
- Tech. system: Bionic Vertical Tech. Space.
- Cost: USD $16 billion+.
- Location: Asia
- List of tallest buildings in Hong Kong
- List of tallest buildings in Shanghai
- Proposed tall buildings and structures