Biosis Pty Ltd
|Proprietary limited company|
|Headquarters||38 Bertie St, Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Mr Charles Meredith, retired founding director
Aaron Harvey director (CEO)
Bob Baird director
Number of employees
Biosis Pty Ltd is an environmental consultancy firm with a proprietary limited structure registered in Australia. The company undertakes ecological and heritage assessments for business, government and community organisations from several offices in south eastern Australia, with its head office in Port Melbourne, Victoria.
Biosis Pty Ltd was founded in 1983, as Biosis Research Pty Ltd, by ecologist Charles Meredith and several colleagues from an earlier venture: 'Biological Systems'. The company was among the first ecological consultancies in Australia. In 1995, Biosis purchased the archaeological consulting firm of du Cros & Associates run by Hilary du Cros, after having been co-located for some years, adding archaeological and heritage research to its business. Meredith sold his share in the firm to senior members of staff in 2012.
Biosis Pty Ltd has undertaken several thousand consultancy projects in the fields of botany, zoology, aquatic ecology, Aboriginal and historic archaeology and cultural heritage in eastern Australia. It was one of the first specialist ecological and heritage consultancy firms to be established at a time when environmental issues were generally the realm of volunteer, community and government organisations.
The company has seven offices in south eastern Australia including Melbourne, Ballarat and Wangaratta in Victoria, Sydney and Wollongong in NSW, Brisbane, Queensland and Canberra, ACT. Its Head Office is at 38 Bertie Street Melbourne, Victoria.
Research and publication
The company espouses best practice and independence in its work. the company has produced several thousand ecological and heritage reports including conservation management plans, archaeological surveys and heritage studies, for example the Bittern coastal wetland conservation plan. The company has been particularly active in developing bird strike risk models for wind farms throughout Australia. which has helped form case law under legislation dealing with climate change.
Biosis was awarded jointly the 2012 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects Land Management Award for its development of the Aurora Conservation Reserve Management Plan. and was a collaborative partner in Australian Research Council funded research on threatened bird species in 2009.
- ASIC company search CreditWatch
- Biosis Pty Ltd, Corporate Website 'About Us'
- Bush Heritage, Corporate partnerships
- Charles Meredith at Environmental Institute of Australia and New Zealand
- Conservation plan for the Bittern coastal wetland area by Renata Jaremovic, Biosis Research, Hastings (Vic. : Shire)Biosis Research, 1992
- A Description of the Biosis Model to Assess Risk of Bird Collisions with Wind Turbines. Wildlife Society Bulletin Authors I. Smales, S. Muir, C. Meredith & R. Baird
- Modelled cumulative impacts on the Swift Parrot of wind farms across the species’ range in southeastern Australia Ian Smales, Department of Environment and Heritage Archived 17 June 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Climate Law in Australia Tim Bonyhady, Peter Christoff, Federation Press, 2007 pp.239-247
- Australian Institute of Land Management Awards
- Architecture & Design Magazine 26 November, 2012
- Australian Research Council Increasing the effectiveness of Australian threatened bird conservation Archived 12 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine.