Bipin Chandra Joshi
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bipin Chandra Joshi
PVSM, AVSM, ADC
|Born||5 December 1935|
Almora Pithoragarh, United Provinces, British India (now Uttarakhand, India)
|Died||19 November 1994 (aged 58)|
Military hospital in New Delhi
|Years of service||1954–1994|
|Commands held||Southern Army|
|Awards|| Param Vishisht Seva Medal|
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
- Commissioned in December 1954 into the 64 Cavalry Regiment, Indian Army Armoured Corps.
- Commanded an armoured regiment in the Western Sector during the 1971 Indo-Pak operations. He also commanded an Independent Armoured Brigade and an Infantry Division.
- Military Advisor in Australia from May 1973 to October 1976
- Staff officer in the UN Force in Gaza
- Brigadier General Staff in a Corps Headquarters
- Commanded a Corps in the Eastern Sector
- General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern Command.
- Additional Director General of Perspective Planning (ADG PP) & Director General Military Operations (DGMO) at the Army Headquarters
- Three tenures as an instructor in the Armoured Corps Centre and School, Ahmednagar
- Directed Staff in the College of Combat, Mhow
- Established the Army Institute of Technology in Pune (Engineering College), Maharashtra in August 1994 for the wards of defence personnel, either in service or retired.
General B. C. Joshi died off a cardiac arrest in New Delhi Military Hospital on 19 November 1994. He was due to retire in 1995. He is the only Chief of Indian Army who died in harness.
Honours and decorations
- Abidi, S. Sartaj Alam; Sharma, Satinder (2007). Services Chiefs of India. Northern Book Centre. p. 81. ISBN 9788172111625. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "CHIEFS OF THE INDIAN ARMY". bharat-rakshak.com. Archived from the original on 20 March 2012.
- "Gen. Bipin Chandra Joshi, Indian Army Chief, 59". NY Times. 19 November 1994. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Gen. B.C. Joshi Army Public School". Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Book titled Man, culture, and society in the Kumaun Himalayas: General B. C. Joshi commemoration volume (ISBN 8185865299) - includes brief articles on General B. C. Joshi
Sunith Francis Rodrigues
| Chief of Army Staff
G S Grewal
| General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Command
R K Gulati