Birbhum Institute of Engineering & Technology
This article does not cite any sources. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Suri, Birbhum, West Bengal, India|
The Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology, Suri, India, was established by the Indian Centre for Advancement of Research and Education (ICARE), Birbhum under the chairmanship of Shri Somnath Chatterjee, Speaker of the 14th Lok Sabha and the Vice Chairmanship of Shri Pranab Mukherjee, Finance Minister, government of India. BIET started functioning from 1999 under the chairmanship of Indologist and educationalist Professor Padmashri Late Ramaranjan Mukherjee. The institute is run as a non-profit organization with guidance from academicians like Professor Amitabha Ghosh, former Director, IIT Kharagpur who is the Chairman of Board of Governors and other social workers and philanthropists from the District and around. Professor Ajoy Ray is a member of the Board of Governors.
Situated at the sprawling technocomplex of 32 acres at Suri, Birbhum, BIET emerged as the pioneer engineering institute in Birbhum. It receives aid from the Government of West Bengal, World Bank under TEQIP-II, Birbhum Zilla Parishad, West Bengal Power Development Corporation Limited and MPLAD scheme for the development of the infrastructure and the campus.
The institute is situated near the Tilpara Barrage, in the district of Birbhum,West Bengal. Popularly known as "the land of red soil", Birbhum is noted for its topography and its cultural heritage which is unique. Birbhum is one of the most peaceful districts of West Bengal. Suri is the district headquarters of Birbhum.
The Following Undergraduate Degree Programs (4 Years) are offered:-
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Mechanical Engineering
The Following Postgraduate Degree Programs (2 Years) are offered:-
- Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Mechanical Engineering
- Land area already acquired - 30 acres
- Area of teaching and administrative block - 18,000 square metres
- Number of boy's hostels 4:- 3 for 2nd year to 4th year students, 1 for 1st year separately
- Accommodation of boys hostel 1100 students
- Number of girls hostels 3
- Accommodation of girls hostels 300