|Rural Municipality||Birch Hills No. 460|
|Post office established||1895|
|• Mayor||Shirley Ulvild|
|• Town Manager||Tara Gariepy|
|• Governing body||Town council|
|• Total||2.27 km2 (0.88 sq mi)|
|• Density||468.4/km2 (1,213/sq mi)|
|Postal code||S0J 0G0|
Birch Hills is a town located in Saskatchewan, Canada. It is located southeast of Prince Albert and the reserve of Muskoday First Nation. Directly to the west is the village of St. Louis, and to the east is Kinistino. It is surrounded by, but not part of, Birch Hills Rural Municipality No. 460.
The community takes its name from hills in the area, which were once heavily treed with birches that were used in manufacturing birch bark canoes during the fur trade era of the 18th century. The countryside around Birch Hills is part of the aspen parkland biome.
Situated in an area settled primarily by Norwegian, British and Anglo-Metis peoples, Birch Hills became a village in 1907 and reached town status in 1960. Unlike many other agriculturally based towns it continues to grow due to its position as a satellite community of Prince Albert.
|Canada census – Birch Hills community profile|
|Population:||1,064 (+13.8% from 2006)||935 (-2.3% from 2001)|
|Land area:||2.27 km2 (0.88 sq mi)||1.82 km2 (0.70 sq mi)|
|Population density:||468.4/km2 (1,213/sq mi)||514.0/km2 (1,331/sq mi)|
|Median age:||42.1 (M: 40.2, F: 43.9)||44.0 (M: 39.9, F: 47.4)|
|Total private dwellings:||440||425|
|Median household income:||$45,886|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
Notable people from Birch Hills
- Earl Thomson won a gold medal for Canada at the 1920 Olympics in the hurdles.
- Marshall Johnston was an NHL player, scout, coach, and general manager. He is currently the Director of Professional Scouting for the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Birch Hills Airport - Municipal airport
- Jumping Lake, Saskatchewan - a lake a short distance south of Birch Hills.
- "2011 Community Profiles". Statistics Canada. Government of Canada. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- National Archives, Archivia Net. "Post Offices and Postmasters". Archived from the original on 2006-10-06. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Government of Saskatchewan, MRD Home. "Municipal Directory System". Archived from the original on 2016-01-15. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- Commissioner of Canada Elections, Chief Electoral Officer of Canada (2005). "Elections Canada On-line". Archived from the original on 2007-04-21. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "2011 Community Profiles". Canada 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2014-07-17.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
- Town of Birch Hills website
- Birch Hills (Harperview): the people and the history , Heatherdell Coolidge, Birch Hills, Saskatchewan: Birch Hills History Committee, 1990
|North: Muskoday First Nation|
|West: St. Louis||Birch Hills||East: Weldon|
|South: Jumping Lake|