- For the American membrane roof company see: Taiyo Kogyo Corporation#Birdair
Bird & Sons, Inc was a San Francisco heavy construction company operating in Vietnam and Laos that maintained its own air division. William H. Bird had been operating an aviation division of his construction company Bird & Son in Laos since 1960. Bird later sold the air division and its aircraft to Continental, $4.5 million cash, in 1964 to form CASI. When Bird sold that division there was a non-compete clause in his contract with Continental that precluded Bird from operating another aviation company in Laos for a certain number of years. When that time expired, Bird got back into the air charter business and created BirdAir.
BirdAir operated Lockheed C-130s on loan from the United States Air Force and participated in the evacuation of former Hmong guerrilla troops in Laos. BirdAir also helped maintain the air bridge to Phnom Penh flying from U-Tapao to Phnom Penh daily in February and March 1975 until the day before the country fell.
Bird and Sons Aviation Division
The aviation division of Bird and Sons, Inc. included 22 aircraft and 350 employees, with some of Bird and Son's aircraft continuing to be registered to Bird & Sons Inc. even after the take-over by CASI. Note: Not all the following listed aircraft were operated at the same time.
- Beech 18 x1
- Beech D50C Twin Bonanza x1
- Bell 47G-3B-1 Sioux x1
- Bell 205 x3
- Bell 206 JetRangers x3 206As and x3 206Bs
- Camair 480 - a Ryan Navion converted to twin engines by Cameron Aircraft Co.
- Cessna 180 x2
- Cessna 206 x1
- Curtiss C-46 Commando x9
- Dornier Do 28 x12 (inc x11 A1s and x1 B1)
- Douglas DC-3/C-47 Skytrain x8
- Douglas DC-6A/B x3 (leased from Concare)
- Helio 395 Super Courier x5
- Lockheed PV-2 Ventura x2
- Pilatus PC-6 Porter & Turbo Porter x33
- Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer Series 2 x6
Bird Air was later reported to be operating DC-6s and USAF C-130s in 1975 in support of the Cambodian government.
- Kenneth Conboy and Don Greer, War in Laos 1954-1975, Squadron/Signal Publications, Inc., Carrolton, Texas 1994. ISBN 0897473159
- Kenneth Conboy with James Morrison, Shadow War: The CIA's Secret War in Laos, Boulder CO: Paladin Press, 1995. ISBN 0-87364-825-0
- Kenneth Conboy and Simon McCouaig, The War in Laos 1960-75, Men-at-arms series 217, Osprey Publishing Ltd, London 1989. ISBN 9780850459388
- Roger Warner, Shooting at the Moon: The Story of America's Clandestine War in Laos, South Royalton VE: Steerforth Press, 1996.