Bird Dog (song)
|Single by The Everly Brothers|
|B-side||"Devoted To You"|
|Released||July 28, 1958|
|The Everly Brothers singles chronology|
"Bird Dog" is a song written by Boudleaux Bryant and recorded by The Everly Brothers released in 1958 and was a #1 hit on the Billboard Country Chart. The song also hit number two on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 as well as peaking at number two for three weeks on the R&B charts.
The musical structure is relatively unique in that it has a 12 bar blues stanza and an 8 bar blues chorus.
- In 1966, The Newbeats released a version of the song as a single.
- In 1975 English Glam rock band Mud recorded a cover of the song on their album Use Your Imagination which reached #33 on the UK charts
- In 1978 by The Bellamy Brothers, recorded a cover of the song which reached #86 on the Hot Country Singles chart.
|US Billboard Country & Western Best Sellers||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||2|
|US Billboard Hot R&B Sides||2|
|Australian Singles Chart||1|
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|United Kingdom (NME)||2|
|United Kingdom (Record Mirror)||1|
- The Everly Brothers interviewed on the Pop Chronicles (1969)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 117.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 194.
- The Newbeats, "Bird Dog" single release Retrieved April 25, 2015
- "Artist Chart History Details: Everly Brothers". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- McAleer, Dave. "Every No.1 in the 1960s is listed from all the nine different magazine charts!". Dave McAleer's website. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
"Blue Blue Day" by Don Gibson
|C&W Best Sellers
number one single by The Everly Brothers
September 8, 1958 - October 13, 1958
"City Lights" by Ray Price