|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock|
|Years active||1988–1993, 2010|
|Past members||Robert Vincent
Birdland were formed in 1988 in Birmingham, England by the brothers Robert (vocals) and Lizzy Lee Vincent (guitar), who had previously released records and toured in glam rock band, Zodiac Motel (1984-1988). The other band members were Simon Rogers (bass), and Neil Hughes (drums).
Birdland's debut single "Hollow Heart", was released on Lazy Records. It reached #1 in the UK Indie Chart. The band generated a lot of attention in the British music press. The band released four further singles; "Paradise", "Sleep with Me", "Everybody Needs Somebody", "Rock n Roll Nigger", all of which were #1 UK independent singles. "Sleep With Me" also reached the Top 40 in the UK Singles Chart (with the video being shown on Top of the Pops). It was two years after the first single that the band finally released their eponymously titled debut album in 1991.
After the album's release, problems with management and inner band disagreement forced the band to split up. They briefly reunited in 2011 and streamed a new demo.
- 1989: Semi Official Live Album
- 1989: "Hollow Heart" - UK Indie Chart #1
- 1989: "Paradise" - UK Indie #1
- 1989: "Live"
- 1990: "Sleep With Me" - UK Indie #1
- 1990: "Rock N Roll Nigger" - UK Indie #1
- 1991: "Everybody Needs Somebody" - UK Indie #1
- Rice, Tim; Rice, Jonathan; Gambaccini, Paul (1990). "Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums". Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness World Records and Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-398-8.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 58. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.