Birdy Nam Nam
Birdy Nam Nam
From left to right: Crazy B, DJ Need, Little Mike, DJ Pone
|Genres||Instrumental hip hop|
|Past members||DJ Pone|
Birdy Nam Nam are a DJ crew from France. Birdy Nam Nam has won several prizes throughout their career including the DMC Technics 2002 World TEAM Championships. Birdy Nam Nam's goal is to use the turntable player as an actual musical instrument. Their self-titled debut album was released in 2006 on Uncivilized World Records, and in March that year they performed at the internationally renowned music conference SXSW. The group's name is taken from a line in the 1968 Peter Sellers film The Party, directed by Blake Edwards.
Birdy Nam Nam sources their music from friends and their own albums, pressing beats and patterns into vinyl to assemble their music live.
In 2010, the band won the Electronic or Dance revelation of the year at the Victoires de la Musique. In 2012 they gained a wider audience in the Anglophone world thanks to Skrillex. At the Festival des Artefacts in Strasbourg, Skrillex played after Birdy Nam Nam and was impressed. He decided to remix their song Goin' In multiple times, and to release a remix album of BNN songs on his label OWSLA.
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Wild for the Night"
(ASAP Rocky featuring Skrillex and Birdy Nam Nam)
|2013||80||63||65||169||38||43||Long. Live. ASAP|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Birdy Nam Nam (2005)
- Live (2006) Recorded live on 28 June 2006 at La Cigale (Paris)
- Manual For Successful Rioting (2009)
- Defiant Order (September 2011, re-released in 2013)
- Dance or Die (2016)
- "Jazz It At Home"/"Body, Mind, Spirit" (vinyl)
- "Engineer Fear" (maxi vinyl)
- "The First Break Beat" (vinyl)
- "Trans Boulogne Express", December 2007 (maxi single)
- "Worried", (EP)
- "The Parachute Ending" (vinyl)
- "Goin' In", September 2011 (EP)
- "Jaded Future", 17 July 2012 (EP)
- "Defiant Order", 22 January 2013 (EP)
- "Defiant Order Remixes Project Vol. I: DJ Pone Selects", 7 July 2013 (EP)
- "Defiant Order Remixes Project Vol. II: DJ Need Selects", 14 July 2013 (EP)
- "Defiant Order Remixes Project Vol. III: Crazy B Selects", 21 July 2013 (EP)
- "Defiant Order Remixes Project Vol. IV: Lil' Mike Selects", 28 July 2013 (EP)
Birdy Nam Nam's song "Trans Boulogne Express" received mainstream recognition after it appeared in the movie Transporter 3.
Independent Music Awards 2012: Defiant Order - Best Dance/Electronica Album
- (2006). "Eclectic Mix Results in Musical Tour de Force." Music Week. January 21.
- Pareles, Jon (2006). "On a Mission to Make Soul Unpredictable." The New York Times. April 9.
- 2005, Birdy Nam Nam (CD/DVD album), Interview on DVD
- On 10 July he wrote on Facebook "I played with these guys in Strasbourg France and I've NEVER seen a more technically impressive and musical LIVE dj set...These guys are all some of the world's best turntablists and what they do live is seriously mind boggling..."
- "A$AP Rocky – Chart History: Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Peak chart positions for singles as a featured artist in Canada:
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database – A$AP Rocky". Recording Industry Association of America. Archived from the original on June 30, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2016 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on March 11, 2016. Retrieved March 13, 2016.
- "Certificeringer - A$AP Rocky". IFPI Denmark. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Gold/Platinum - Music Canada". Music Canada. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Birdy Nam Nam – Live". Discogs. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
- "11th Annual Independent Music Awards Winners Announced!" Independent Music Awards, 2 May 2012. Retrieved on 4 Sept. 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birdy Nam Nam.|