Birender Singh Dhanoa
|Air Chief Marshal|
Birender Singh Dhanoa
PVSM, AVSM, YSM, VM, ADC
|Born||Gharuan, SAS Nagar |
|Service/||Indian Air Force|
|Years of service||June 1978 - present|
|Rank||Air Chief Marshal|
Chief of the Air Staff|
Vice Chief of the Air Staff
South Western Air Command
Param Vishisht Seva Medal|
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
Yudh Seva Medal
Vayu Sena Medal
Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, PVSM, AVSM, YSM, VM, ADC is the 25th Chief of the Air Staff of the Indian Air Force. He assumed the post on 31 December 2016 after Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha retired.
Early life and education
Singh was born in Gharuan village in SAS Nagar, Punjab. His father Sarayan Singh who was an IAS officer served as the Chief Secretary to the Punjab government & also in Bihar government during 1980s and later as an advisor to the Punjab state governor. His grandfather Capt Sant Singh had fought in World War II as a captain of the British Indian Army. He is an alumnus of the Rashtriya Indian Military College, Dehradun and was graduated from National Defence Academy, Pune. He has also attended a staff course in Defence Services Staff College, Wellington in 1992.
Dhanoa was commissioned into the fighter stream of the Indian Air Force in June 1978. He has flown various types of fighter jets and is a qualified flying instructor. He has flown fighter aircraft across the spectrum including HJT-16 Kiran, MiG-21, SEPECAT Jaguar, MiG-29 and Su-30MKI. He held several key operational and administrative appointments in his 37 years of career including Director Targeting Cell at Air Headquarters, Director Fighter Operations & War Planning at Headquarters Western Air Command, Assistant Chief of Air Staff (Intelligence) at Air Headquarters, Senior Air Staff Officer of Eastern & Western Air Command and Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of South Western Air Command (1 November - 31 May 2015). He has held instructional appointments of Senior Air Instructor and Chief Air Instructor at Defence Services Staff College, Wellington and leader of an Indian Air Force Training Team abroad.
Dhanoa was Commanding Officer of a front line ground attack fighter squadron during the Kargil Conflict in 1999. Under his leadership the squadron devised innovative methods of night bombing at high altitudes which had never been attempted before. His squadron was adjudged the best fighter squadron of HQ WAC. He was awarded Yudh Seva Medal (YSM) and Vayu Sena Medal (VM) for his gallant actions in this conflict.
Before assuming the office of Vice of the Air Staff at Air HQ from Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC on 1 June 2015, he was the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the South Western Air Command. Air Marshal RK Dhir succeeded him as the AOC-in-C of South Western Air Command. On 17 December 2016, Government of India designated Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa as Next Chief of Staff of the Indian Air Force
Bilateral visits as CAS
|France||17 - 20 July||
|Australia||19 - 22 September||
|United States||26 - 28 September||
|Vietnam||30 October - 3 November||
|Sri Lanka||11 - 14 December||
|Israel||21 - 24 May||
|Brazil||4 - 7 June||
|United Kingdom||9 - 15 July||
|Myanmar||3 - 8 September||
Awards and medals
Dhanoa has been awarded several medals: the Param Vishisht Seva Medal (2016), the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (2015), the Yudh Seva Medal (1999), and the Vayu Sena Medal (1999). He was also appointed as Honorary ADC to the President of India on 1 August 2015
He is married to Mrs. Kamalpreet and they have one son Jasman who is a law graduate.
- "New IAF Vice-Chief does Punjab village proud". The Tribune. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa AVSM YSM VM takes over as Vice Chief of the Air Staff". PIB. GOI. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 2016-12-20.
- "Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa takes over as the 25th Chief of the Air Staff". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Punjab native Birender Singh Dhanoa appointed AIF Vice Chief". Punjab News Express. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- India, Press Trust of (2014-11-01). "Air Marshal B S Dhanoa takes over as AOC-in-C in SWAC". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- One India Defence Desk (2 June 2015). "Pilot who flew many night strike missions during Kargil War is IAF Vice Chief". One India. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Arun (2 June 2015). "Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa is IAF's new Vice Chief". Day to Day GK. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Parminder, Kaur. "Air Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa to Head Indian Air Force" (online). ABC Live. ABC Live. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "IAF chief Dhanoa on 4-day trip to France to boost defence ties - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "Press Information Bureau". Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- "Visit of Chief of the Air Staff to Sri Lanka". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "CAS visit to Israel". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Visit of Chief of the Air Staff to Brazil". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "IAF Chief visits UK for greater military engagement".
- "Visit of Chief of the Air Staff to Myanmar and Malaysia". pib.nic.in. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "Air Marshal BS Dhanoa takes over as Vice Chief of Air Staff". India Strategic. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Press Trust of India. "Birender Singh Dhanoa Appointed New IAF Vice Chief". Outlook India. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
| Chief of the Air Staff (India)
31 December 2016 - Current
Ravi Kant Sharma
| Vice Chief of the Air Staff (India)
31 May 2015 - 31 December 2016
Shirish Baban Deo
| Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, South Western Air Command
1 November 2014 - 31 May 2015
Ravinder Kumar Dhir