|Derived||Brighid (Celtic goddess)|
|Related names||Britta, Brigitte, Bridget|
Birgitta is the Swedish and Icelandic form of the Irish Gaelic female name Brighid. Brighid or Brigid was the name of an ancient Celtic goddess, and its English form is Bridget. Birgitta and its alternate forms Birgit and Britta became common names in Scandinavia because of St. Bridget of Sweden.
People named Birgitta
- Birgitta Durell, Swedish industrialist
- Birgitta Jónsdóttir, Icelandic politician
- Bridget of Sweden, Swedish Roman Catholic saint
- Birgitta Haukdal, Icelandic singer
- Hanks, P. & Hodges, F. (1990). A dictionary of first names. Oxford University Press.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|