Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – Hyderabad Campus
|Motto||ज्ञानं परम् बलं
Gyanam paramam balam
Motto in English
|"Knowledge is Power Supreme"
|Chancellor||Kumar Mangalam Birla|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Souvik Bhattacharyya|
|Director||Prof. G. Sundar|
|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, India
|Campus||Suburban, 220 acres (0.89 km2)|
|Sports||Basketball, Badminton, Billiards, Chess, Carroms, Cricket, Football, Hockey, Lawn Tennis, Table tennis, Throw ball, Volley ball, Squash|
|Website||BITS Pilani-Hyderabad Campus|
Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani - Hyderabad Campus (shortened to BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus or BPHC) is a technical and science institute for higher education in India, located at Hyderabad, Telangana, India. One of the 4 campuses of the university BITS Pilani, it was started in 2008 with the first batch graduating in 2012.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Campus
- 4 Events
- 5 Administration
- 6 Other campuses of BITS Pilani
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
BITS Pilani was established as an Intermediate College by Shri Ghanshyam Das Birla in 1929.
During World War II, the Government of India established a technical training centre at Pilani for the supply of technicians for defense services and industry. At the end of the war, in 1946, it was converted it into the Birla Engineering College with degree programmes in electrical and mechanical engineering.
In 1964, the Birla Colleges of Arts, Commerce, Engineering, Pharmacy and Science were merged to form the Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS). In this period of inception (especially during 1964-1970), BITS Pilani received support from the Ford Foundation and the MIT.
BITS Pilani started to expand in India and abroad since 2000. New campuses were established in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (2000) and Goa, India (2004)
BITS also runs a virtual university and an extension centre in Bangalore.
BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus is to eventually have ten centres in order to step up activities in research and development in pharmaceutics, mechanics, computer technology and construction engineering.
Out of all the campuses of the BITS Pilani university, the Hyderabad campus is the one which has taken charge of developing a course for Electronics and Communications Engineering. This is because of the campus's presence in Hyderabad, which is notable for a large talent pool in this area.
Admission and demographics
|List of programmes in BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus|
|Bachelor of Engineering (Hons.)|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering|
|Bachelor of Pharmacy (Hons.)|
|Master of Science (Hons.)|
|Master of Science (Tech.)|
|Master of Engineering|
|Integrated Master of Engineering|
|Master of Pharmacy|
|Master of Philosophy|
Since 2005, admission to BITS campuses has been offered to students based on their performance in the all-India Entrance Examination, called BITS Admission Test (BITSAT). BITS Pilani also has the policy of accepting State and National Board toppers from India.
Dual degree system
In addition to the integrated first degree programmes, BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus offers the prospect of a dual degree to the students of category-B programmes. A dual degree is basically two degrees (two majors), one of them in the sciences and the other in engineering.
Minors in finance
BITS-Pilani,Hyderabad has also introduced this new programme for the non economics students to pursue the courses related to the field of finance under the guidance of Department of Economics and Department of Finance.
In addition to the dual degree system, one also has the vertical transfer system.
Research and Development Projects
The college has many R&D projects under its departments. These projects take the form of research-based consultancy, sponsored projects or just independent R&D. Some collaborators include the Science and Engineering Research Council (DST-SERC), the University Grants Commission (UGC), the National Programme for Micro and Smart System (NPMASS), Astra Zeneca, etc. The funding for these projects runs into several crores. The culmination of some of this research has led to the granting of patents to professors.
The campus is situated on the Rajiv Rahadari (SH 1, Hyderabad-Karimnagar-Ramagundam Highway) near the Hakimpet Air Force Station. The campus is located at a distance of 5 km from Shamirpet junction of Outer Ring Road, Hyderabad. The campus is about 25 km away from the Secunderabad Central Railway station, on Rajiv Rahadari (Karimnagar Highway) near Hakimpet Air Force station. The campus is in a serene atmosphere amidst scenic terrain with small hillocks and urban forest, near Shameerpet lake. The campus spreads across 200 Acres of landThe Campus is situated in the vicinity of institutions like- ICICI Knowledge Park, NALSAR Law University, SP Bio-Tech Park etc.
The campus is spread over 220 acres. The central library and auditorium are part of this complex. The campus has laboratories for science and engineering. In front of the academic block is a rock garden that is the inspiration for the name of the college magazine, On The Rocks.
This is one of the new buildings on campus.
All clubs, fests and activities are managed by the students themselves with little outside help. Students elect a body for administration, the Students' Union (SU). The SU is elected during the fall semester in the month of September and is responsible for the set-up of the departments directly influencing fests, i.e. the departments of sponsorship and marketing, publicity, security and hospitality, etc. In addition to the SU, students also elect members for the Students' Mess Council (SMC), which is in charge of managing the two messes and the all-night canteen. Both these student bodies co-ordinate with the Students' Welfare Division (SWD) branch of the administration. These elections are also used for the election of students to other posts, i.e. Sports' Secretary, Hostel Representatives, etc.
Pearl is the official National Annual Cultural Festival of the campus. The fest usually involves many enthralling events with music, dance, theatre and literary activities. The festival is wholly student run, right from getting the funding to the organisation. The Students' Union of BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus is closely involved in the administration of the fest.
The festival started out as an intra-college event in 2009 and then went on to become a city level inter-college cultural festival in 2010, which saw several colleges from Hyderabad participating in more than 50 unique events encompassing the cultural diversity of BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus. 2011 saw it becoming a national level event with universities sending teams from many major cities in India.
Pearl is held in February and features competitions in quiz, music, dance and literary events. The first Pearl was held in 2010. The second edition of Pearl in February 2011 was headlined by the Swedish death metal band, Dark Tranquillity. Thurisaz, a metal band from Belgium, performed at Pearl 2012. In 2013, Pearl saw performances by Junkyard Groove, Amplifier and Nikhil Chinappa.
ATMOS is the techno-management fest of the campus. The first edition was organized on 26 and 27 October 2012. It featured paper presentations, technical competitions and workshops on various topics. The next (2nd) edition of ATMOS was scheduled from 11 October to 13 October 2013.
Arena is the National Annual Sports Festival of the campus. The major tournaments it features are cricket, hockey football, throw ball, basketball, badminton, table tennis, chess, carom, athletics, tennis, volleyball and power lifting.
The first edition of TEDxBITSHyderabad was held on 25 November 2012. There were a total of 12 speakers, including the four student speakers selected by a panel.
Two editions of the Literary fest, Verba Maximus, have taken place till now. The first was in 2012, the second in 2013. The fest offers a host of events, all literary in nature, as well as visits by authors and other notable literary figures. Verba Maximus 2013 saw a visit by bestselling author of the Shiva Trilogy, Amish Tripathi. The fest has traditionally ended with a comedy show. Both editions of Verba Maximus have featured Saurabh Pant.
While most of the fest is organised by ELAS, the 2014 version of the fest has seen ELAS collaborating with the Journal Club, the Photography Club, the Hindi Club, Brindavanam (Telugu Association) and the Quiz Club.
From BITSMUN 2011, the first college level Model United Nations Conference in the state BITSMUN 2013 grew into an international MUN conference with over 200 delegates shortlisted from 700 applications.
The institute was named as a campus as opposed to a separate university. Graduating students are awarded degrees from BITS Pilani as only the parent university has the right to grant degrees. However, with respect to most other aspects, the Hyderabad campus is autonomous. As an example, the institute has its own faculty and administration. The institute fully uses the facilities provided by its parent university, e.g., the Practice School System, and uses a similar grading system.
The administration is divided into six divisions:
- Engineering Services Division (ESD)
- Information Processing and Business Intelligence (IP&BI)
- Instruction Division (ID)
- Academic Registration Council Division (ARCD)
- Student Welfare Division (SWD)
- University Industry Linkages Division (UILD)
Other campuses of BITS Pilani
- Pearl (Cultural festival of BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus)
- ATMOS (Technical Festival of BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus)
- "BITS-Pilani Hyderabad in ₹400-cr expansion mode - Business Line". The Hindu Business Line. 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- "BITS Pilani-Hyderabad to launch technology incubator". GyanCentral. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- "BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus Placements 2012". myEngg.com. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Learning curve's deTour". Times of India. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "Life at BPHC". BITS360 Forums. 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "BITSAT 2013" (PDF). BITS Admissions. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Foundation Stone Laying Ceremony - BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus on 28th April, 2007". BITSAA. 2007-03-20. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "BITS Pilani 1969 Alumni". BITS69. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "BITS campus to be R&D hub for IT cos". Times of India. 2008-09-12. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "Integrated First Degree". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Higher Degree". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Doctoral Programmes". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Research Overview". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Publications & Citations - yogeeswarigroup". Sites.google.com. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Dark Tranquillity to perform at BITS Pilani in February". MetalIndia Magazine. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Pearl 2012: Unseen Underground". Unseen Underground. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Pearl 2013: Unseen Underground". Unseen Underground. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Pearl-2013 Tickets, Event Tickets, Other Tickets". Book My Show. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "ATMOS 2012, BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus, Technical Fest, Hyderabad, Telangana, October 26-27 2012". KnowaFest.com. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "ATMOS 2012, BITS Pilani Hyderabad Campus". BITS ATMOS. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "ATMOS 2013, BITS Pilani Hyderabad, Hyderabad, Techno-management Fest, Telangana, October 11-13 2013". Knowafest.com. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Arena 2014, BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus". Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "TED/TEDx/Event Detail". TED. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Saurabh Pant @ BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus". Coolage. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Verba Maximus 2013 by Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani - Hyderabad - Jan 19, 2013 – Jan 20, 2013". College Khabar. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Verba Maximus 14". BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "BITS Hyderabad - A successful Journey". Best Delegate. 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Practice School". BITS Pilani. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- "Offices & Administration". Universe.bits-pilani.ac.in. 1964-06-18. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani – Hyderabad.|
- Official website
- National Service Scheme(NSS), BITS-Pilani Hyderabad Campus
- Pearl annual Cultural festival of BITS-Pilani Hyderabad Campus
- ARENA annual Sports festival of BITS-Pilani Hyderabad Campus
- ATMOS annual Techno Management Festival of BITS-Pilani Hyderabad Campus
- The Daily Bitsian
- BITS Embryo