Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya
|Motto||Work is Worship|
|Chairman||Er. B.B. Patel|
|Principal||Dr. I.N Patel|
|Affiliations||Gujarat Technological University|
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College (BVM) is a grant-aided engineering institution located in the educational town of Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India. It is affiliated to Gujarat Technological University and became an autonomous institution in August 2015. Founded in 1948, it is one of the oldest engineering colleges in India and the first degree engineering college in the state of Gujarat. Managed by Charutar Vidya Mandal, BVM offers graduate, postgraduate and Doctoral programmes in engineering.
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College was established in 1948 from donations made by the Birla Education Trust on the behest of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of independent India. The college was inaugurated by Lord Mountbatten, the Governor General of India on 14 June 1948, and rose to prominence under the stewardship of Prof. Junarkar and Prof. K.M. Dholakia. It was one of the first few colleges in India that adopted the progressive credit system of relative grading in India. The college has awarded degrees to over 20,000 graduates.
- Bombay University: June 1948– May 1951
- Gujarat University: June 1951– May 1957
- Sardar Patel University: June 1957– June 2008
- Gujarat Technological University: June 2008
- From 2015 onwards it has been granted autonomy. Now it is an Autonomous Institution.
- BE/BTech - Civil Engineering
- BE/BTech - Computer Engineering
- BE/BTech - Electrical Engineering
- BE/BTech - Electronics and communication Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Electronics Engineering
- BE/BTech - Information Technology (Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Mechanical Engineering (Grant-in-Aid + Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Mechanical Engineering (part-time)
- BE/BTech - Production Engineering (Grant-in-Aid + Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Structural Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Construction Engineering and Management (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Infrastructure Engineering and Technology (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Environmental Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Transportation System Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Power System (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Computer Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Industrial Hygiene & safety (MIHS) (Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Machine Design (Self Finance Program)
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Electrical Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Mechanical Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Civil Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Structural and Transportation Engineering
The college is recognized for testing of materials, BIS certifications, environmental auditing, calibration of electrical and electronics instruments and gadgets.
- IEEE: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- ISTE: Indian Society for Technical Education
- IE: Institute of Engineers (India)
- ACE : Academia of Civil Engineering
Cultural, literary and sports activities such as youth festivals and events at the college, university and national level, are a part of the college experience at BVM. Won the Spirit Sports festival 2015 in badminton that saw a participation of around 90 Colleges of GTU.
In addition to providing admissions to high school graduates from the state of Gujarat, the college offers admissions to students from other states as well, via a competitive entrance examination.
- A. M. Naik, Executive Chairman, Larsen & Toubro Limited, awarded Padma Vibhushan, India's second highest civilian award, on 26 January 2019