Birla Vishwakarma Mahavidyalaya
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Work is Worship|
|Chairman||Dr. C.L. Patel (swami)|
|Principal||Dr. I.N Patel|
|Location||Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat|
|Campus||Suburban 151 acres (0.61 km2)|
|Affiliations||Gujarat Technological University|
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College (BVM) is a grant-aided engineering institution located in the educational town of Vallabh Vidyanagar, Gujarat, India. It was previously affiliated to Gujarat Technological University but became an autonomous institution in August 2015. Founded in 1948, it is one of the oldest engineering colleges in India and the first degree engineering college in the state of Gujarat. Managed by Charutar Vidya Mandal, BVM offers graduate, postgraduate and Doctoral programmes in engineering. It is consistently ranked as one of the leading engineering colleges in Gujarat state. It has been ranked in the band of 150-200 by the NIRF ranking of engineering institutes making it 6th in the state. Also ranked the third govt aided college after IIT and NIT.
Birla Vishvakarma Mahavidyalaya Engineering College was established in 1948 from donations made by the Birla Education Trust on the behest of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the first Home Minister of independent India. The college was inaugurated by Lord Mountbatten, the Governor General of India on 14 June 1948, and rose to prominence under the stewardship of Prof. Junarkar and Prof. K.M. Dholakia. It was one of the first few colleges in India that adopted the progressive credit system of relative grading in India. The college has awarded degrees to over 17,000 graduates.
The starting days The infrastructure of the college was generously designed for four year degree programme with an intake of 150 students every year. The main building (now known as A Block) had class rooms and laboratories. Workshops and heat engine laboratory, drawing hall, hydraulics laboratory and boiler house were separately constructed. Shri Gordhanbhai I Patel of M/s Gordhandas Desai & Co was authorized to proceed to Europe and UK to purchase equipment for workshops, laboratories and surveying. The college thus started with the best of the equipments.
BVM produces a baby - a Search Institute: In 1979, BVM was called upon to establish an institute working entirely for research, development, training and extension work in the area of renewable sources of energy particular for rural application. Dr. R M Dave took great pains in establishing the Jyoti Solar Energy Institute. The institute(later renamed as Sardar Patel renewable Energy Research Institute) has now developed into a full - fledged institute working independently in the vital area of renewable energy.
Infrastructure · Land : 18.96 acres · Builtup area : 35704.00 sq.m.
Outstanding facilities : A spacious hall on the south end of the ground floor of the main building which at one time housed the college library was converted in 1989 into a modern – Auditorium with a capacity of 350 seates and complete with acoustical treatment, light, sound and projection facilities. The Mechanical Engineering building has a Conference Room installed with complete audio-visual facilities for a capacity of 40 seats. The college workshop was reorganized to establish laboratories for the Production Engineering programme and to house new and sophisticated machines. On south side of the workshop a new building has come up for Civil & Production Engineering Laboratories. The building is constructed at a cost of Rs. 40 lakhs . Principal S B Junnarkar Guest House has a facility of well furnished 10 guest rooms at the second floor of newly constracted library building is constructed with the estimated cost of Rs.60 lakhs is added to BVM infrastructure. A Multipurpose Hall with donation from L&T(with the help of CEO Er. Anil Nayak a BVMite) is also an addition to the services of alma mater. Computer Centres of Civil, Structural, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering are also available for students and faculties with internet connectivity. College Canteen and conference room near Principal's office have been face lifted during 2006.
BVM enters in to IT Era The Computer Center was established in 1985 and is being continuously Upgraded and expanded. Initially it had a UNIX-based minicomputer with Sixteen terminals and a number of PC/XTs and PC/ATs providing DOS Environment. A high resolution work station with sophisticated software was also available. In addition, the college installed personal computers in each department to meet the departmental requirements. Currently, college is equipped with approx. 750 computers with good configuration like P4 and above.
BVM gets Self-financed mode programs Two more IT related course are now run by BVM. One in 2001-02, 60 seats was approved by AICTE in Information Technology. Second one was also approved by AICTE in academic year 2006-07 with 60 seats in Electronics and Telecommunication. Recently in 2012, two more existing courses, Mechanical and Production Engineering has been granted 30 seats each in Self-financed Mode by AICTE
Affiliations of the College
· Bombay University JUNE 1948 - May 1951 · Gujarat University JUNE 1951 - May 1957 · Sardar Vallabhbhai Vdiyapeeth JUNE 1957 to JUNE 2008(Renamed as Sardar Patel University from 1966) . Gujarat Technological University JUNE 2008 Onwards . Given Autonomous Status from 2015 onwards.
Government Recognition BVM became the grant-in-aid institution of the State Government in 1958 and slowly grants from the State as well as Central Government started trickling in. The Ministry of Works & Housing Government of India, Started a Rural Housing Wing from 1st January 1959. Principal of BVM, was named as the Ex-officio Director of the Wing. The wing was later renamed as a Regional Housing Development Centre. The Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India recognized BVM in 1984 as one of the centers for training in-service engineers in Environmental Engineering through postgraduate programmed of M E (Environmental Engineering) (the programmed was run by the institute earlier since 1979.)
4. Central Computer Facility
5. Student Activity Center
6. Placement Cell
7. College Canteen
- A. M. Naik, Executive Chairman, Larsen & Toubro Limited
- Purvesh Khatri, Developed Khatri Test for diagnosis of Tuberculosis, Professor (Research) Of Medicine (Biomedical Informatics Research-ITI INSTITUTE) And Of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford University
- Shailesh Langalia, Vice President, Goldman Sachs
- Niranjan Shah, CEO Globetrotters Engineering Corporation. Chicago.
- Avinash Bhandari, Joint Mananging Director, Electrotherm India Private Limited.
- Ishwar Naran, CEO Premier Resorts and Management Inc.,
- Anil Joshi, Founder and Managing Partner Unicorn India Ventures.
- Shashank Sinha, CEO Strides Shashun Limited.
- BE/BTech - Civil Engineering
- BE/BTech - Computer Engineering
- BE/BTech - Electrical Engineering
- BE/BTech - Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Electronics Engineering
- BE/BTech - Information Technology (Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Mechanical Engineering (Grant-in-Aid + Self Finance Program)
- BE/BTech - Mechanical Engineering (part-time)
- BE/BTech - Production Engineering (Grant-in-Aid + Self Finance Program)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Structural Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Construction Engineering and Management
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Infrastructure Project Management
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Environmental Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Transportation System Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Power System
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Computer Engineering
- Master of Industrial Hygiene & safety (MIHS)
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) Machine Design
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Electrical Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Mechanical Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Civil Engineering
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) - Structural and Transportation Engineering
The college is recognized for testing of materials, BIS certifications, environmental auditing, calibration of electrical and electronics instruments and gadgets.
BVM, a premier engineering college, is considered to be top 1% among all engineering colleges in Gujarat. Since inception, BVM has a record of best Placement all over Gujarat. Around 35+companies, including MNCs like Infosys, Essar, TCS, L&T, ABB, Ford, Thomson Reuters, Linde, Torrent Power, Seimens, Einfochips etc.. visit BVM every year for placement.
Institute is accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) in February 2013 for 2 years for below courses:
- Electronics Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Production Engineering (Accredited for 5 YEARS W.E.F. 05-08-2013)
- Information Technology
- ISTE: Indian Society for Technical Education
- IE: Institute of Engineers (India)
- ACE : Academia of Civil Engineering
Cultural, literary and sports activities such as youth festivals and events at the college, university and national level, are a part of the college experience at BVM.
In addition to providing admissions to high school graduates from the state of Gujarat, the college offers admissions to students from other states as well, via a competitive entrance examination.