Birmingham Municipal Bank headquarters
|Birmingham Municipal Bank|
|Architectural style||Neo Classical|
|Address||301 Broad Street|
|Town or city||Birmingham|
|Client||Birmingham Municipal Bank|
|Owner||Birmingham City Council|
|Floor count||1(OG) 1(UG)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Thomas Cecil Howitt|
|Designated||14 October 1996|
In November 2017, the University of Birmingham completed the purchase of the Municipal Bank. It is planned to create a city centre showcase to display its research and host performances and exhibitions.
Thrift Radiates Happiness
On 14–17 March 2013 the first contemporary arts exhibition at the building was held, titled 'Thrift Radiates Happiness'. The title of the exhibition was Thrift Radiates Happiness. The line was taken from an inscription found carved across a main beam within the building.
The event was an arts and business collaboration between Birmingham based gallery TROVE, Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), the Birmingham Architectural Association (BAA), Birmingham City Council and architecture practice Aedas. Entrance to the exhibition was free thanks to funding awarded by The Arts Council, RIBA and Aedas.
Universe of Sound
Universe of Sound allowed visitors to take a leap into space in the company of Gustav Holst, Strauss, György Ligeti and Stanley Kubrick, with two concerts, a free digital installation and family activity day.
The exhibition took place over three weeks, showing what it is like to be part of the Philharmonia Orchestra, and provided a chance for people of any ability to have a go at conducting The Planets through an interactive installation. This gave the chance to explore the orchestra from the inside out[clarification needed] using touch screens, movement-based interaction and planetarium-style full-dome projections.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birmingham Municipal Bank headquarters.|
- Birmingham Municipal Bank, new head offices, souvenir of opening ceremony performed by His Royal Highness The Prince George, K.G., 27 November 1933
- British Banking History Society (2003). "Birmingham Municipal Bank". Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- "Birmingham City Council buys landmark building on Broad Street". King Sturge. 2006-05-09. Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Historic England. "Details from image database (462175)". Images of England. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Thrift Radiates Happiness Exhibition Website".
- "Town Hall & Symphony Hall, Birmingham Exhibition Information and Video". Archived from the original on 11 November 2014.