This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Body||Birnagar Municipality|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Birnagar ( formerly ULA ) is a Municipality Town in district of Nadia, West Bengal. The Birnagar town is divided into 14 wards for which elections are held every 5 years. The Birnagar Municipality has population of 30,799 of which 15,658 are males while 15,141 are females as per report released by Census India 2011.
Birnagar Municipality has total administration over 6,702 houses to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage. It is also authorized to build roads within Municipality limits and impose taxes on properties coming under its jurisdiction.
It is situated 81 kilometres north of Kolkata. It is one of the oldest railway station in the Sealdah- Murshidabad railway section
As per the records Birnagar was an island in the Hoogly river that changed its course away of the then ULA around 1707 A.D. Before British colonization, Birnagar was called Ula. The "Ula" name is still present in the names of some local institutions, such as the library and hospital. It is mentioned in the short story Post Master by Rabindranath Tagore and in the novel Aporajito by Bibhutibhushan Bandopadhyay. Birnagar Municipality is around 150 years old.The first chairman of the Birnagar Municipality was Kabi Nabinchandra Sen. It earlier had two zamindars. One part of Birnagar belonged to the Mukherjees, and the other part belonged to the Mustafis.Late Birendranath Basu(1928-2006),a reputed teacher of Birnagar high attached primary school,was awarded as National teacher by Government of India in 1979.
As per the 2011 Indian census, Birnagar has a population of 30,799 of which 15,658 are males while 15,141 are females as per report released by Census India 2011.
In Birnagar (M), most of the (M)rs are from Schedule Caste (SC). Schedule Caste (SC) constitutes 35.40% while Schedule Tribe (ST) were 0.65% of total population in Birnagar (M).
The town boasts a large number of primary and high-schools and a reputed college for higher education.
- Higher-Secondary schools
- Birnagar High School (uttar Para)
- Shivkali Girls' High school (Library Para)
- Primary schools
- there are several primary schools
- Other schools
- Ramkrishna Ashramic primary (Khan para)
- Gunedranath public School (English medium)(Library Para)
- Birnagar Kabinabin Chandra Sen Teachers Training Institute
- Other Institutions
- There are several computer center and NGOs. Among the NGOs YOURS(Ula Youth Organization For Reformation Service) arranges MDP, ESDP,IMC programs on various technical skill. There are also several dance and drawing schools.
Birnagar Welfare Society(BWS)
Birnagar Welfare Society (BWS) is an apolitical social organization. It was set up in 2014 to work mainly for education and health among the people of Birngar and surrounding areas. It conducted Talent search exam in 2014 and 2015. With collaboration of Lions club it organised various eye check up camp free of cost.
Markets and Sub-Divisions
Birnagar has several markets, including Rail bazaar,Boro Bazaar and Palitpara, where mostly people came here for marketing from the several parts like Bespur.The biggest Business place in Birnagar is Rail Bazaar. Birnagar sub areas.
There are some government hospitals and private nursing-home in the town. They are:
- ULA Matrishadan - Uttarpara, Ward No. - 7
- Aditi Nursing Home - Library Para, Ward No. - 4
- Gita Rani Eye Hospital - Rail bazar, Ward No. - 4
- Ritam Diagnostic Center - Dakshin Para, Ward No- 1
Birnagar municipality is the oldest municipality in nadia district. more than 200 years old .the first chairman of birnagar municipality was Sri. Nabin Chandra sen. and now chairman of birnagar municipality Sri. Partha chatterjee in party of TMC(Trinumool Congress). Birnagar municipality has 14 ward.
Famous Sports and Cultural Club
- Palitpara Football Association
- Pranayan Tirtha
- Pragathi Sangha
- Sabuj Sangha(Mainly for Cricket)
- Khapara Football Association
- Shri Gunendranath Mukherjee
- Shri Nilkontho Mukhopadhya
- Shri Anil Kumar Dewan, WB Govt. Siksha Ratna Sammanana-2015
- Dr. Dipankar Debnath, WB Govt. Siksha Ratna Sammanana-2016
- Late Birendranath Basu(1928-2006),a reputed teacher of Birnagar high attached primary school,was awarded as National teacher by Government of India in 1979.He was also served as a priest at the famous Birnagar Mahishmardini Temple,Dakshinpara,Birnagar.
- "Census of 2011".
- "District Wise List of Statutory Towns". Census of India 2001, Urban Frame. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-10-06.
- "Towns in Birnagar - Religion 2011".
- "Brnagar Municipality Official Website".
- "Siksha Ratna Sammanana-2016".