Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School (North Carolina)
|Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School|
1725 North Carolina Highway 66 South
|School type||private, Coeducational Catholic|
|Motto||Praesis ut Prosis|
"Excel that you might better serve"
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Diocese of Charlotte|
|Enrollment||372 as of 2018-2019|
|Average class size||24|
|Campus size||42 acres (170,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold and White|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Conference|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Communities served||Greensboro, NC, High Point, NC, Winston-Salem, NC|
|Dean of Students||Sister Anne Thomas|
|Admissions Director||Kim Knox|
|Assistant Principal||Randy Quarles|
|Athletic Director||Jeff Stoller|
Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Kernersville, North Carolina, minutes from downtown Greensboro and Winston-Salem. It operates under the direction of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte.
- Our Lady of Grace Catholic School, Greensboro
- Blessed Sacrament School, Burlington
- Our Lady of Mercy Catholic School, Winston-Salem
- Saint Leo Parish School, Winston-Salem
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic School, High Point
- Saint Pius X Catholic School, Greensboro
The mascot for Bishop McGuinness is the Villain. The mascot comes from the school's predecessor, the Villa Marie Anna Academy.
The boys basketball team won the NCHSAA State Championship in 2009. The team holds the school record for most wins in a season (31) and the best overall record (31-2). Boys Basketball has claimed 5 state championships- 1963, 1982, 1983, 1987, 2009.
As of 2014, the girls basketball team (the Lady Villains) have won nine consecutive state championships, the NCHSAA Record, and is also tied for the 2nd longest consecutive state championship win streak nationally.
The Boys' Cross Country team has qualified for the NCHSAA 1A Regional and State meets seven consecutive times since 2005, finishing as low as eight, with their highest finish of third place in the 2011 NCHSAA 1A State Championship at Beeson Park. They have won the NCHSAA Northwest 1A Conference title in 2009 and 2011, as well as having won the NCHSAA 1A Midwest Regional Meet in both 2007 and 2011. They have won the state title twice, in 2012 and 2013.
The Girls' Cross Country team has an even more exceptional record. Although they have only appeared in the NCHSAA State Meet since 2006, they have been awarded runners-up three times. They have won the Midwest 1A Regional and Northwest 1A Conference meets five of the past six years, and holds the NCHSAA 1A State Title for 2008, 2012, and 2013.
The Boys' Tennis team won the 2011 NCHSAA 1A State Championship defeating the North Carolina School of Math and Science in the final. In addition to the team championship, Senior Joseph Riazzi won the NCHSAA 1A individual doubles state championship.
Notes and references
- SACS-CASI. "SACS-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- BMCHS. "Bishop McGuinness Catholic High School Web Site". Archived from the original on 2007-07-04. Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- "Athletics". Archived from the original on 22 April 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Bishop McGuinness Cross Country: Welcome Web Page". Archived from the original on 26 October 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2011.