Bishop of Crediton
The Bishop of Crediton is an episcopal title which takes its name from the town of Crediton in Devon, England. The title was originally used by the Anglo-Saxons in the 10th and 11th centuries for a diocese covering Devon and Cornwall. It is now used by the Church of England as the title of a suffragan bishop who assists the diocesan Bishop of Exeter.
List of bishops suffragan
The present Bishop of Crediton is a title used by a Church of England suffragan bishop who, along with the Bishop of Plymouth, assists the diocesan Bishop of Exeter in overseeing the Diocese of Exeter.
|Bishops suffragan of Crediton|
|1996||2004||Richard Hawkins||Formerly Bishop of Plymouth.|
|2004||October 2012||Bob Evens||Retired on 31 October 2012.|
|November 2012||19 April 2015||Nick McKinnel||Translated to Plymouth 19 April 2015.|
|22 July 2015||8 March 2018||Sarah Mullally||Announced 9 June 2015; consecrated 22 July; translated to London on 8 March 2018.|
|2018||present||Jackie Searle||Consecrated 27 September 2018.|
- "Historical successions: Exeter (including precussor offices)". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, revised ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 287. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 946. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- BBC: New Bishop for Crediton
- Diocese of Exeter: Bishop of Crediton to retire Archived 5 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- BBC: New Bishop of Crediton named as Rev Nick McKinnel
- Diocese of Exeter — Vacancy in the See of Crediton (Archive.org) (Accessed 1 May 2015)
- Diocese of Exeter — New Bishop of Crediton to be Dame Sarah Mullally (Accessed 9 June 2015)
- Diocese of London — Mullally’s installation as Bishop of London (Accessed 26 January 2018)
- "Next Bishop of Crediton announced today". Diocese of Exeter. 11 July 2018. Retrieved 11 July 2018.