Bishop of Liverpool
|Bishop of Liverpool|
|First incumbent||John Ryle|
The diocese stretches from Southport in the north, to Widnes in the south, and from the River Mersey to Wigan in the east. Its see is in the City of Liverpool at the Cathedral Church of Christ. The Bishop's residence is Bishop's Lodge, Liverpool.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Liverpool|
|1880||1900||J. C. Ryle||Nominated on 11 May and consecrated on 11 June 1880. Resigned on 1 March 1900 and died on 10 June 1900.|
|1900||1923||Francis Chavasse||Nominated on 24 March and consecrated on 25 April 1900. Resigned on 1 October 1923 and died on 11 March 1928.|
|1923||1944||Albert David||Translated from St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Nominated on 3 October and confirmed on 18 October 1923. Resigned on 15 April 1944 and died on 24 December 1950.|
|1944||1966||Clifford Martin||Nominated on 3 July and consecrated on 25 July 1944. Resigned on 30 November 1965 and died on 11 August 1977.|
|1966||1975||Stuart Blanch||Nominated on 22 December 1965 and consecrated on 25 March 1966. Translated to York on 9 January 1975.|
|1975||1997||David Sheppard||Translated from Woolwich. Nominated on 2 May and confirmed on 3 June 1975. Resigned in 1997, created Baron Sheppard of Liverpool on 14 February 1998, and died on 5 March 2005.|
|1998||2013||James Jones||Translated from Hull. Nominated and confirmed in 1998.|
|23 July 2014||present||Paul Bayes||Translated from Hertford. Installed on 15 November 2014 at Liverpool Cathedral.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory, 100th edition, (2007), Church House Publishing. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- The Diocese of Liverpool: Homepage. Retrieved on 24 November 2008.
- The Diocese of Liverpool: About Us. Retrieved on 24 November 2008.
- Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool. Retrieved on 24 November 2008.
- Provincial Directory: Liverpool. Retrieved on 24 November 2008.
- Diocese of Liverpool – The next Bishop of Liverpool is to be Paul Bayes (Accessed 7 May 2014)
- The Bishop of Liverpool: Biography of Bishop James. Retrieved on 24 November 2008.
- "Historical successions: Liverpool". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 257. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.