Roman Catholic Diocese of Pozzuoli
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Diocese of Pozzuoli
|Area||105 km2 (41 sq mi)|
|(as of 2013)
|Cathedral||Cattedrale di Maria SS. Assunta|
|Secular priests||93 (diocesan)
46 (Religious Orders)
|Emeritus Bishops||Silvio Padoin|
The Diocese of Pozzuoli (Latin: Dioecesis Puteolanus) is a Roman Catholic bishopric in Campania, southern Italy. It is a suffragan of the Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Naples, like its other neighbor dioceses, Aversa and Ischia. In 2013 in the diocese of Pozzuoli there was one priest for every 3,794 Catholics.
The diocese of Pozzuoli was founded around 100 AD.
In 1207, it gained territory from the suppressed Diocese of Cuma (Italy).
It also has a Pro-Cathedral in Pozzuoli, Procattedrale di Santa Maria della Consolazione, devoted to Our Lady of Consolation, and a ruined former cathedral, also in Pozzuoli, which was devoted to regional saint S. Maximo di Cuma.
The bishops St. Celsus and St. Joannes did govern the diocese before the fourth century. In the 4th century the bishop of this see was Florentius, against whom Pope Damasus was compelled to seek the assistance of the emperors. Bishop St. Theodorus died in 435; Julianus was pontifical legate to the Robber Council of Ephesus in 449. The Bishop Stephanus, whom Cappelletti names at this period, should be referred to the 7th century, or later.
Diocese of Pozzuoli
Latin Name: Dioecesis Puteolanus
Erected: 1st Century
Metropolitan: Archdiocese of Naples
- Tommaso Brancaccio (Jan 1405 - 30 Jul 1405 Appointed, Bishop of Tricarico)
- Bernardo Dovizi da Bibbiena (1514 - 4 Nov 1517 Appointed, Administrator of Coria)
- Simeone de' Vernacoli (6 Jul 1515 - 1537 Died)
- Carlo Borromeo (6 Jul 1537 - 1540 Died)
- Bernardino Castellari (17 Aug 1540 A- 1542 Resigned)
- Gian Matteo Castaldo, O.S.B. (1 Mar 1542 - 1586 Died)
- Leonardo Vairo, O.S.B. (7 Jan 1587 - 4 Jan 1603 Died)
- Jerónimo Bernardo de Quirós, O. Praem. (18 Aug 1604 - 1617 Died)
- Lorenzo Monzonís Galatina, O.F.M. (20 Nov 1617 - 11 Feb 1630 Died)
- Martín de León Cárdenas, O.S.A. (7 Apr 1631 - 27 Aug 1650 Appointed, Archbishop of Palermo)
- Juan Bautista Verchi de Campania (Visco), O.F.M. (6 Oct 1653 - 1663 Died)
- Benedicto Sánchez de Herrera (24 Mar 1664 - 14 Jun 1674 Died)
- Carlo della Palma, C.R. (27 May 1675 - 1682 Died)
- Diego Ibáñez de la Madrid y Bustamente (2 Oct 1684 - 9 Jun 1687 Appointed, Bishop of Ceuta)
- Dominicus Maria Marchese, O.P. (31 May 1688 - May 1692 Died)
- José Sanz de Villaragut, O.F.M. (2 Jan 1693 - 18 Jun 1696 Appointed, Bishop of Cefalù)
- Carlo Cuzzolini (25 Feb 1697 - Aug 1698 Died)
- Giuseppe Falces, O.F.M. (11 Apr 1699 - Nov 1703 Died)
- Michele Petirro (14 Dec 1705 - 24 Apr 1709 Died)
- Pietro Cavalcanti, C.R. (22 May 1713 - 31 Jul 1723 Died)
- Thomas Angelus Passante, Sch. P. (29 Jan 1725 - Nov 1732 Died)
- Niccolò de Rosa (2 Dec 1733 - Jan 1774 Died)
- Gerolamo Dandolfi (Landolfi) (29 May 1775 - 21 Nov 1789 Died)
- Gaetano Maria Capece, C.R. (27 Feb 1792 - Jun 1794 Died)
- Carlo Maria Rosini (18 Dec 1797 - 18 Feb 1836 Died)
- Pietro Ignazio Marolda, C.SS.R. (19 May 1837 - 15 Mar 1842 Died)
- Raffaele Purpo (3 Apr 1843 - 23 Dec 1876 Died)
- Gennaro de Vivo (23 Dec 1876 - 15 Feb 1893 Died)
- Michele Zezza di Zapponeta (12 Jun 1893 - 3 Jul 1919 Appointed, Coadjutor Archbishop of Naples})
- Giuseppe Petrone (23 Sep 1921 - 23 Mar 1933 Died)
- Alfonso Castaldo (27 Mar 1934 - 14 Jan 1950 Appointed, Coadjutor Archbishop of Naples})
- Salvatore Sorrentino (21 Feb 1974 - 8 May 1993 Retired)
- Silvio Padoin (8 May 1993 - 2 Sep 2005 Retired)
- Gennaro Pascarella (2 Sep 2005 - )
- Gams, Pius Bonifatius (1873). Series episcoporum Ecclesiae catholicae: quotquot innotuerunt a beato Petro apostolo. Ratisbon: Typis et Sumptibus Georgii Josephi Manz. p. 914-915. (Use with caution; obsolete)
- Eubel, Conradus (ed.) (1913). Hierarchia catholica, Tomus 1 (second ed.). Münster: Libreria Regensbergiana. p. 409-410. (in Latin)
- Eubel, Conradus (ed.) (1914). Hierarchia catholica, Tomus 2 (second ed.). Münster: Libreria Regensbergiana. p. 219.
- Eubel, Conradus (ed.); Gulik, Guilelmus (1923). Hierarchia catholica, Tomus 3 (second ed.). Münster: Libreria Regensbergiana. p. 280.
- Gauchat, Patritius (Patrice) (1935). Hierarchia catholica IV (1592-1667). Münster: Libraria Regensbergiana. Retrieved 2016-07-06. p. 289.
- Ritzler, Remigius; Sefrin, Pirminus (1952). Hierarchia catholica medii et recentis aevi V (1667-1730). Patavii: Messagero di S. Antonio. Retrieved 2016-07-06. p. 325.
- Ritzler, Remigius; Sefrin, Pirminus (1958). Hierarchia catholica medii et recentis aevi VI (1730-1799). Patavii: Messagero di S. Antonio. Retrieved 2016-07-06. p. 349-350.
- Ambrasi, Domenico; D'Ambrosio, Angelo (1990). La diocesi e i vescovi di Pozzuoli: "ecclesia sancti proculi puteolani episcopatus" (in Italian). Pozzuoli: Ufficio Pastorale Diocesano.