Bishop of Sheffield
|Bishop of Sheffield|
Bishop-designate: Pete Wilcox
Acting bishop: Peter Burrows, Bishop of Doncaster
A similar title was first created as a suffragan see in the Diocese of York in 1901. John Quirk, the only Bishop suffragan of Sheffield assisted the Archbishop of York in overseeing that diocese. Under George V, the Diocese of Sheffield was created out of the south-western part of the Diocese of York in 1914.
The See is vacant following the translation of Steven Croft, who was the seventh bishop. He was assisted by Peter Burrows, Bishop suffragan of Doncaster, who has become acting Bishop of Sheffield during the vacancy. On 31 January 2017, it was announced that Philip North had been nominated to translate to Sheffield before June 2017, but North withdrew his acceptance of the nomination in March officially citing "personal reasons". Since his nomination, there had been a number of public articles challenging the appropriateness of his appointment, based on his rejection of the ordination of priests who are women and the number of priests in Sheffield diocese who are women.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Sheffield|
|1914||1939||Leonard Burrows||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Lewes.|
|1962||1971||John Taylor||Formerly Principal of Wycliffe Hall|
|1972||1979||Gordon Fallows||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Pontefract. Died in office.|
|1997||2008||Jack Nicholls||Formerly Suffragan Bishop of Lancaster.|
|2008||6 July 2016||Steven Croft||Elected November 2008; consecrated January 2009; translated to Oxford.|
|2016||present||Peter Burrows, Bishop of Doncaster|||
|January 2017||March 2017||Philip North, bishop-nominate|
|"summer" 2017 onwards||bishop-designate||Pete Wilcox, bishop-designate||To be consecrated "summer" 2017, elected and confirmed before consecration.|
- "A rover's return for Sheffield's new bishop". Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 29 October 2008.
- "Bishop's Welcome". Diocese of Sheffield. 22 September 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "About the Bishops". Diocese of Sheffield. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- Diocese of Sheffield — The search for a new Bishop of Sheffield… (Accessed 12 July 2016)
- Diocese of Sheffield — Next Bishop of Sheffield Announced (Accessed 31 January 2017)
- "Bishop Philip North steps down over women priests row". BBC News. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Bishop of Sheffield Announced". Diocese of Sheffield. Diocese of Sheffield. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- Diocese of Oxford — Legal ceremony brings Bishop Steven a step closer & Diocese of Oxford — Letter from Bishop Steven (Both accessed 8 July 2016)
- "Historical successions: Sheffield". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I., eds. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd, reprinted 2003, ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 273. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.