Bishop of Stepney
The Bishop of Stepney is an episcopal title used by a suffragan bishop of the Church of England Diocese of London, in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name after Stepney, an inner-city district in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The post is currently vacant, awaiting Joanne Grenfell's consecration, scheduled for 3 July 2019. The bishops suffragan of Stepney have been area bishops since the London area scheme was founded in 1979.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Stepney|
|1895||1897||George Forrest Browne||(1833–1930). Translated to Bristol|
|1897||1901||Arthur Winnington-Ingram||(1858–1946). Translated to London|
|1901||1909||Cosmo Gordon Lang||(1864–1945). Translated to York, and later to Canterbury|
|1909||1919||Luke Paget||(1853–1937). Formerly Bishop of Ipswich. Translated to Chester|
|1919||1928||Henry Mosley||(1868–1948). Translated to Southwell|
|1928||1936||Charles Curzon||(1878–1954). Translated to Exeter|
|1952||1957||Joost de Blank||(1908–1968)|
|1968||1978||Trevor Huddleston||(1913–1998). Translated to Mauritius|
|1978||1991||Jim Thompson||(1936–2003). First area bishop from 1979; translated to Bath and Wells|
|1992||1995||Richard Chartres||(b. 1947). Consecrated on 22 May 1992. Translated to London in 1995|
|1996||2002||John Sentamu||(b. 1949). Translated to Birmingham, and later to York|
|2003||2010||Stephen Oliver||(b. 1948) Retired 6 July 2010|
Bishop of Willesden
|Acted as Bishop of Stepney from 7 July 2010, effectively suspended from 23 November 2010 to 10 January 2011, resumed as Acting Bishop until 22 July 2011.|
|2011||2018||Adrian Newman||(b. 1958) Resigned on 31 October 2018 on health grounds.|
Bishop of Willesden
|Acting as Bishop of Stepney from 31 October 2018 until Grenfell's consecration.|
|2019||present||Joanne Grenfell||Since 3 July 2019 consecration.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 948. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002" (PDF). Church of England. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 June 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "No. 27308". The London Gazette. 26 April 1901. p. 2855.
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: Acting Bishop of Stepney Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Diocese of London — Ad clerum: The Bishop of Willesden Archived July 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Bishop who said 'shallow' William and Kate's marriage would fall apart within seven years is suspended. Daily Mail. Published on 23 November 2010.
- Number 10 —Suffragan Bishop of Stepney
- Diocese of London — Urban pioneer appointed new bishop
- Bishop of Stepney to step down (Accessed 24 July 2018)
- Crockford's Clerical Directory - Listings
- * "The Bishop of Stepney". St George in the East Church. St George in the East PCC. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|