Bishop of Tewkesbury
The Bishop of Tewkesbury is an episcopal title used by a suffragan bishop of the Church of England Diocese of Gloucester, in the Province of Canterbury, England. The title takes its name after the town of Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, but the bishop's responsibilities cover the whole diocese. As with all suffragan sees, the need for the see of Tewkesbury is reconsidered every time it falls vacant. In both 2013 and 2016, the diocesan synod recommended that a new bishop be appointed, concluding that the need for a bishop was greater than ever.
The first Bishop of Tewkesbury, Austin Hodson, was consecrated on 24 February 1938, as a suffragan to the Bishop of Gloucester. Tewkesbury Abbey and Cheltenham Minster both fall within the Bishop of Tewkesbury's remit. The longest-serving bishop to date was John Went, who retired in 2013 after 18 years in the post. The only bishop to have died in office was Robert Deakin, who died, aged 68, on 3 August 1985. 
List of bishops
|Bishops of Tewkesbury|
|1955||1960||Edward Henderson||(1910–1986). Translated to Bath and Wells|
|1973||1985||Robert Deakin||(1917–1985). Formerly Vicar of St Mary's Charlton Kings and Rural Dean of Cheltenham. Consecrated 1973. Died in office 1985.|
|1986||1995||Jeremy Walsh||(b. 1929). Formerly Rector of Ipswich. Consecrated January 1986. Retired 1995.|
|1996||2013||John Went||(b. 1944) Formerly Archdeacon of Surrey|
|2013||2016||Martyn Snow||(b. 1968) Formerly Archdeacon of Sheffield and Rotherham; translated to Leicester|
|2016||present||Robert Springett||(b. 1962) Formerly Archdeacon of Cheltenham; consecrated 30 November 2016.|
- Crockford's Clerical Directory (100th ed.). London: Church House Publishing. 2007. p. 949. ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0.
- Harry Farley (25 July 2016). "New Bishop of Tewkesbury announced". Christian Today. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "The See of Tewkesbury" (PDF). Diocese of Gloucester. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Bishops of Tewkesbury". National Archives. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "County dioceses project,South West province". Dan Barnes Davies. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- The Times, Friday, Nov 02, 1973; pg. 19; Issue 58929; col B Inauguration of three new bishops
- The Times, Monday, Aug 05, 1985; pg. 14; Issue 62208; col H Obituary: Right Rev Robert Deakin
- "Press Release - Suffragan Bishop of Tewkesbury: Robert Wilfrid Springett". UK Government. 25 July 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "The Bishop of Tewkesbury". Diocese of Gloucester. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Gloucester Diocese — New Bishop of Tewkesbury (Accessed 25 July 2016)