The Crown Inn in Bishops Cannings with the church of St Mary the Virgin behind.
Bishops Cannings shown within Wiltshire
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Bishops Cannings|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Bishops Cannings is a village and civil parish in the Vale of Pewsey in Wiltshire, England. The parish includes the settlements of Coate, Horton, Bourton and Easton, as well as the village of Bishops Cannings itself.
The parish is now the third largest in Wiltshire, but was formerly larger. It lost a large area to the nearby town of Devizes, 2½ miles to the south-west,when there was a change of boundaries in 1835. Bishops Cannings had previously reached as far into Devizes as the Crammer, a large pond on the edge of the town centre. This may explain how Bishops Cannings comes to lay claim to being the place of origin of the legend of the Moonrakers.
Bishops Cannings is a civil parish with an elected parish council. It is in the area of Wiltshire Council unitary authority, which is responsible for almost all significant local government functions.
- "Bishops Cannings Census Information". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Victor Watts (ed.), The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, Based on the Collections of the English Place-Name Society (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004), s.v. HORTON.
- "Smugglers myth lives". Wiltshire Gazette and Herald. Retrieved 2009-09-02.
- "Bishops Cannings". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- A History of the County of Wiltshire, Volume VII: Bradford hundred and Potterne and Cannings hundred (1953)
- "Area selected: Kennet (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 June 2010.
- Wiltshire County Council Website page on Bishops Cannings, retrieved 15:10 Oct 8, 2004 (UTC)
Media related to Bishops Cannings at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Wiltshire is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|