Bishops Corner, West Hartford
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||West Hartford, Connecticut, U.S.|
|Owner||Edens & Avant|
|No. of stores and services||25+|
|No. of floors||1|
|Parking||Large free parking lot.|
Bishops Corner is located in West Hartford, CT at the crossroads between Albany Avenue (U.S. Route 44) and North Main Street in West Hartford, Connecticut. A non-profit community organization called the Bishops Corner Neighborhood Association, or BCNA, is composed of local residents, businesses, non-profits, and advocates for the Bishops Corner Neighborhood of West Hartford. The organization, which has run for over 40 years, has goals that include the beautification of Bishops Corner, increase pedestrian and bicycle safety, facilitate communication with residents, businesses and not for profits and play an active role in redevelopment projects in Bishops Corner. Through the hard work of the BCNA committees, residents have worked with state and town officials to improve walkability and established a location for nonprofits to hang a banner to promote events. Among the retailers in the area is also the Farmers' Market at Bishops Corner, held every Saturday in the summer. There has also been a resurgence of arts in Bishops Corner. Residents can attend Poetry on the Patio during the summer. The BCNA is open to the public and meets the second Friday of every other month at the Bishops Corner Senior Center.
- In 1992, Mail Boxes Etc. opened, and in 2003, it was rebranded to The UPS Store.
- In the summer of 2006, McDonald's and Staples were remodeled on the exterior.
- In the winter of 2007, McDonald's interior was remodeled as part of the McCafe look.
- In autumn of 2007, the Waldbaum's Foodmart was renovated.
- In the winter of 2006, Walgreens expanded to a larger size and a new drive thru prescription pick up window was added.
- On April 24, 2009, the state Bonding Commission approved $153,000 to improve the Bishop's Corner public library branch. The money will go towards making the facility more accessible to those with disabilities, window replacements, updates will be made to the heating/cooling system, and new energy efficient lighting.
- In autumn of 2010, Waldbaums Fresh was converted into Big Y World Class Market.
- In spring of 2012, exterior facade work was done and an old parking garage (previously belonging to Adams grocery store) was demolished to make way for a new Walmart, which opened later that autumn. Walmart closed in 2016.
Businesses Located in Bishop's Corner
Bishops Corner hosts a variety of stores, including but not limited to:
- Bank of America
- Big Y (former Waldbaums fresh)
- Blue Plate Kitchen
- D'Angelo Sandwich Shops (replaced Quiznos Subs which closed September 2008)
- Dunkin' Donuts
- Five Guys
- Harvey's Wine and Spirits
- Massage Envy
- Maximum Beverage
- Noodles & Company
- Panera Bread
- People's United Bank
- Pet Supplies Plus
- Salon Medusa
- Santander Bank
- Starbuck's Coffee
- The Crown Market
- The Judaica Store
- The UPS Store
- TD Bank
- Whole Foods (former Wild Oats)
Bishop's Corner Library
Bishop's Corner is home to one of West Hartford's three main libraries, the others being the Noah Webster Library and Faxon. The establishment, which is over forty years old, has recently completed a "Senior Center," where elderly citizens are able to take part in educational and leisure activities such as computer training.