|Headquarters||Palo Alto, CA|
|Key people||CEO & Co-founder, Mike Belshe CTO, Benedict Chan|
|Services||Bitcoin / Blockchain Security Platform API's / Custodial Services / Settlement Services|
The company offers a multisignature bitcoin wallet service, where keys are divided among a number of owners to manage risk. Generally, BitGo wallets have three keys: one held by BitGo, and two held by the wallet's owner. Wallets can be configured in both hot and cold configurations, as well as non-custodial and custodial configurations.
On August 2, 2016, Bitfinex, a digital currency exchange using BitGo software, announced it had suffered a security breach. BitGo was not itself hacked, but processed withdrawal requests from the hacker, who had obtained access to Bitfinex's keys.
In September 2018, BitGo was approved by the South Dakota Division of Banking to act as a qualified custodian for digital assets and created BitGo Trust Company.
- KING 5 News (January 20, 2014). "Seattle entrepreneur mines Bitcoin phenomenon". KING-TV.
- Robert McMillan (April 9, 2014). "A Hack That Makes Bitcoins a Whole Lot Harder to Steal". Wired.
- Michael J. Casey (June 16, 2014). "Bitcoin Security Startup BitGo Gets More Funds; Ex-Verisign CEO Joins Team". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 Oct 2018.(subscription required)
- Kim-Mai Cutler (June 16, 2014). "BitGo Raises $12M Led By Redpoint For Multi-Signature Bitcoin Wallets, Services". TechCrunch. AOL. Retrieved 20 Oct 2018.
- "Crypto Startup Offers Insurance Against Quadriga Wallet Dilemma". 2019-06-11. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Dara Kerr (June 16, 2014). "Bitcoin security platform BitGo raises $12M in funding". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 20 Oct 2018.
- Michael J. Casey and Paul Vigna (February 25, 2015). "BitBeat: BitGo Adds Comprehensive Insurance to Its Services". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 20 Oct 2018.(subscription required)
- Laura Shin (June 30, 2015). "BitGo Launches Verisign-Like Certificate To Prove Solvency For Bitcoin Companies". Forbes. Retrieved 20 Oct 2018.
- "Bitcoin worth $72 million stolen from Bitfinex exchange in Hong Kong". Reuters. 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Ho, Victoria. "Prominent Bitcoin exchange hacked wiping $65 million from wallets". Mashable. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Kate Rooney (13 Sep 2018). "Companies race to solve bitcoin's security problem despite slumping prices". CNBC. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Goldman Wades Deeper in Crypto, Betting on BitGo With Billionaire Mike Novogratz". 2019-06-11. Retrieved 2019-06-12.