A Gouldian Finch is the Bitbird logo
|Founders||Sander van Dijck |
Thorwald van den Akker
|Sander van Dijck |
Thorwald van den Akker
|Total views||2.47 million|
|Subscriber and view counts updated as of 14 March 2019.|
Bitbird (stylised as bitbird) is an independent record label and creative company based in The Hague, Netherlands founded by Sander van Dijck in 2014. The label is jointly run by Sander van Dijck's manager Budi Voogt and his longtime friend and associate Thorwald van den Akker, who is also the label's creative director and co-founder. Their goal is to support good, emotional music across the board regardless of genres. They also believe in giving the artist the right support system to allow themselves to fully express themselves creatively. They also want Bitbird to "be the most fair and honest label there is".
Bitbird is most known for releasing music by artists such as San Holo, Droeloe, Taska Black, Duskus, and BeauDamian.
The label was founded in mid-2014 by childhood friends Sander van Dijck and Thorwald van den Akker. van Dijck stated that one of the reasons for starting the label was because 'no label has ever given me [him] that full creative control I crave.'
On 15 July 2016, the label released its first ever compilation album "Gouldian Finch" with lead single "Still Looking" by San Holo. "Still Looking" was released on 7 June 2016 and topped the Hype Machine charts for original releases shortly after its release.
On 22 November 2016, the label released the single "Light" by San Holo which topped the Hype Machine charts shortly after its release. It also debuted on the Billboard Hot Dance/Electronic songs in #38 the tracking week of 17 December 2016 before rising to #26 the following tracking week and breaking into the top 20 the week of 31 December. "Light" marked the first bitbird and San Holo release to chart on any Billboard charts.
- San Holo: A founder of bitbird, his single "Light" peaked at #13 on Billboard's Hot Dance/Electronic songs chart.
- Droeloe: Discovered by Van Dijck, the duo consisting of Vincent Rooijers and Hein Hamers have released songs such as "Wake the Warrior", which Earmilk calls haunting.
All signed artists with at least one solo release
- Vic Alexis
- Analogue Dear
- Taska Black
- Deon Custom
- Just A Gent
- Jan Level
- Phi Nix
- Emma Sameth
- San Holo
Vocalists or other featured artists
Artists with at least one produced release
- "bitbird - new release by the end of the week! | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Thorwald (@thorwald__) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Discussing Bass Music With San Holo (Exclusive Interview) | We Rave You". We Rave You. 31 March 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Flying Around the World With San Holo [Exclusive Mix & Interview]". Run The Trap: The Best EDM, Hip Hop & Trap Music. 19 September 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Viz, Nicole (11 November 2015). "San Holo Talks Life, Music & Business With Your EDM's Live Stream Team". Your EDM. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Duskus - The First Route, retrieved 16 December 2016
- "The First Route - Single by Duskus on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Gouldian Finch by Various Artists on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Gouldian Finch, 15 July 2016, retrieved 16 December 2016
- "Still Looking". Hype Machine. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "EDM Music & Dance Songs Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Billboard Dance Chart Upstarts: Louis the Child, A Very Decent Christmas 4 & San Holo". Billboard. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Artist Spotlight: DROELOE". NEST HQ. 2016-11-29. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "Watch DROELOE "Wake The Warrior" in a brand new visual [Video]". Earmilk. 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- "Bitbird Artists List | Artists Signed to Bitbird". labelsbase.net. Retrieved 2018-11-16.