Type of site
|Available in||Multilingual, primarily English|
|Website||Welcome post by Satoshi|
|Alexa rank||900 (Global, January 2018[update])|
Satoshi Nakamoto created the bitcointalk forum, posted the first message in 2009 under the pseudonym satoshi. The commonly used cryptotrader misspelling "Hodl" originated from a 2013 bitcointalk forum post. The first bitcoin transaction took place at the forum, when software programmer Lazlo Hanyecz offered 10,000 bitcoins to purchase pizza, three days later a deal could be arranged to purchase two pizzas.
Initial coin offerings are usually announced at the forum.
A 2016 study by researchers from the University of New Mexico, and University of Tulsa, Oklahoma identified 1780 scams, based on forum reports. There is a demand for more privileges for older user accounts. Traded accounts were reportedly used to scam people.
- "bitcointalk.org Traffic Statistics". Alexa Internet. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- "Will This Battle For The Soul Of Bitcoin Destroy It?". Forbes. October 23, 2017.
- "The Only Good Bitcoin Advice Is Four Years Old Today". Motherboard Vice. October 18, 2017.
- "8 surprising places where you can pay with bitcoin". Business Insider. December 12, 2017.
- "If You Bought $5 of Bitcoin 7 Years Ago, You'd Be $4.4 Million Richer". Fortune. May 22, 2017.
- "A new bitcoin Ponzi scheme or scam pops up almost every day". New Scientist. January 4, 2018.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a cryptocurrency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|