Bitterfeld (German pronunciation: [ˈbɪtɐfɛlt]) is a town in the district Anhalt-Bitterfeld, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. Since 1 July 2007 it has been part of the town Bitterfeld-Wolfen. It is situated approximately 25 km south of Dessau, and 30 km northeast of Halle (Saale).
History and description
By 1900 Bitterfeld contained an important junction of railways from Leipzig and Halle to Berlin. The population at that time was 11,839; it manufactured drain-pipes, paper-roofing and machinery; and had saw-mills. There were also several coal-mines in the vicinity. Owing to its pleasant situation and accessibility, it had become a favoured residence of business men of Leipzig and Halle.
During the GDR years, it gained notoriety for its chemical industry complex which caused remarkably severe pollution, even by GDR standards. On 24 April 1959 it also was a scene for the Bitterfeld Conference, locally known as the "Bitterfelder Weg". This conference sought to connect the working class with the artists of the day to form a socialist national culture. 
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Bitterfeld". Encyclopædia Britannica 4 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 13.
- "Bitterfelder Konferenzen", Kulturpolitisches Wörterbuch (2nd print ed.), Berlin: Dietz Verlag, 1978
- Festung Bitterfeld - 15 Jahre (1997-2012) (in German), retrieved January 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bitterfeld-Wolfen.|
- Stadt Bitterfeld-Wolfen, Stadt Bitterfeld-Wolfen - Wir haben den Bogen raus (in German), 51.656105;12.267308: Bitterfeld.de, retrieved January 2013
- Prochaska Online Service, Willkommen bei bitterfeld-online » Bitterfeld-Online (in German), 51.63;12.33: Bitterfeld-online.de, retrieved January 2013
- Der Pegelturm an der Goitzsche bei Bitterfeld (in German), Pegelturm.de, retrieved January 2013
- Bandcommunity-bitterfeld.de (in German), Bandcommunity-bitterfeld.de, retrieved January 2013
- Der Bitterfelder Bogen[dead link]
- Bitterfeld at DMOZ
|This Anhalt-Bitterfeld location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|