"Shanti" house, ca 1948
|Name meaning||"lentil fields"|
|Also spelled||Bir Adas|
|Date of depopulation||April 12, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Military assault by Yishuv forces|
|Current localities||Adanim, EliShama|
In the early hours of May 29, 1939, 25 members of the Irgun led by Moshe Moldovsky attacked Biyar 'Adas. They forced their way into two houses and shot dead one man and four women. Two men and a girl were wounded. A letter from Ze'ev Jabotinsky to the Irgun command ordered that the organization must avoid giving the impression that women were being deliberately targeted.
Khalidi described the place in 1992:
The site is marked by cactuses, fig trees, palm trees, and the debris of houses. Some houses and sections of houses that were built among citrus groves still stand, deserted, amidst wild vegetation. All are made of concrete and possess a variety of architectural designs, ranging from the elaborate to the simple. Their roofs are flat, slanted, or gabled, and their doors and windows are rectangular. The land in the vicinity is cultivated and is covered in places by Israeli fruit orchards.
- List of Arab towns and villages depopulated during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War
- List of villages depopulated during the Arab–Israeli conflict
- Hadawi, 1970, p.52
- Morris, 2004, p. xvi village #194. Also gives cause of depopulation
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP II, p.251. Cited in Khalidi, 1992, p. 238.
- "5 Arabs dead in Outrage". Palestine Post. May 30, 1939. p. 1.
- Ehud Ein-Gil (January 13, 2009). "'Punish those responsible'". Haaretz.
- Khalidi, 1992, p.239
- Hadawi, 1970, p.95
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Biyar 'Adas.|
- Conder, Claude Reignier and H.H. Kitchener (1881): The Survey of Western Palestine: memoirs of the topography, orography, hydrography, and archaeology. London:Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. vol 2
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Khalidi, Walid (1992), All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies, ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- Morris, Benny (2004), The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-00967-7
- Morris, Benny, (second edition 2004 third printing 2006) The Birth Of The Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-00967-7