Björn Afzelius at a Festival in Jönköping, Sweden 1984.
27 January 1947|
Huskvarna, Jönköping County, Sweden
|Died||16 February 1999
|Genres||Rock, pop, progg, singer/songwriter|
|Labels||Rebelle Records, MNW, Nackswing, Amalthea, Norske Gram, Transmission, Not On Label, CMC Entertainment, PolyGram, Plateselskapet, Diesel Music, Premium Publishing|
|Associated acts||Hoola Bandoola Band, Mikael Wiehe|
Björn Svante Afzelius (born 27 January 1947 in Huskvarna, Jönköping County, died 16 February 1999 in Gothenburg) was a Swedish singer-songwriter and guitar player. Politically he was a socialist. His songs are about love, politics and joys and sadness in life.
His father Svante Arnold Afzelius (1923-1976) was an engineer and his mother Ulla Afzelius (1926-1971) was a housewife. His only sibling is his brother Bengt (b. 1952) who is a music teacher. He came into contact with music from a very young age, because his mother and her side of the family were largely into music. In 1970, Afzelius formed the progg group Hoola Bandoola Band together with Mikael Wiehe. Wiehe and Afzelius became very close friends and worked together long after Hoola Bandoola had dissolved in 1975.
Afzelius released his first solo album in 1974, his last one in 1999. Some of his most popular songs are "Ikaros", "Tusen bitar" (Thousand pieces - which was originally recorded by Danish Anne Linnet as "Tusind Stykker"), "Sång till friheten" (Song for Freedom - which was originally recorded by Cuban Silvio Rodríguez as "El Día Feliz Que Está Llegando"), "Kungens man" (The king's man), "Tankar i Havanna" (Thoughts in Havanna) and "Till min kära" (For my dear). He died from lung cancer in 1999, 52 years old, but he remains one of the most beloved artists in Scandinavia.
He wrote about 150 songs and sold over two and a half million albums.
With Hoola Bandoola Band
- 1971: Garanterat individuell
- 1972: Vem kan man lita på?
- 1973: På väg
- 1975: Fri information
- 1975: "Stoppa matchen" (single)
- 1974: Vem är det som är rädd?
- 1976: För kung och fosterland
- 1978: Johnny Boy (with Björn Afzelius Band)
- 1979: Bakom kulisserna (with Björn Afzelius Band)
- 1979: Another tale to tell (with Björn Afzelius Band) - Read the English lyrics Another Tale to Tell - lyrics
- 1980: Globetrotter (with Globetrotters)
- 1982: Innan tystnaden (with Globetrotters)
- 1982: Danska Nätter (live) (with Globetrotters)
- 1984: Exil (with Globetrotters)
- 1984: Afzelius; sång & gitarr (live)
- 1985: Nio liv (with Globetrotters)
- 1986: Grande Finale (live) (with Globetrotters)
- 1986: Björn Afzelius & Mikael Wiehe (with Mikael Wiehe)
- 1987: Riddarna kring runda bordet
- 1988: Don Quixote
- 1988: En man, en röst, en gitarr
- 1990: Tusen bitar
- 1991: Nidaros (live)
- 1992: Afzelius, Bygren och Råstam (live)
- 1994: Nära dig
- 1997: Tankar vid 50
- 1999: Elsinore
- 2004: Björn Afzelius & Mikael Wiehe 1993 - Malmöinspelningarna. (with Mikael Wiehe)
- 2011: Tusen bitar - Sånger om kärlek & rättvisa
- 1988: Björn Afzelius Bästa Vol I
- 1988: Björn Afzelius Bästa Vol II
- 1995: Björn Afzelius Bästa Vol III
- 1995: Afzelius Box (Bästa Vol 1, 2, 3)
- 1998: Den röda tråden - Definitivt
- 2002: Den röda tråden Vol 1
- 2002: Den röda tråden Vol 2
- 2005: Björn Afzelius Bästa
- 2006: Guldkorn vol.1
- "Björn Afzelius". Find-A-Grave. Retrieved 2006-10-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Björn Afzelius.|
- Björn Afzelius official website
- Björn Afzelius at AllMusic
- Björn Afzelius at the Internet Movie Database