The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Björn Michaelsen, in 2012
|Occupation||Software developer for freiheit.com|
|Known for||OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, gbuild, bibisect, etc-proposals|
Björn Michaelsen studied physics at the University of Hamburg and worked in the area of arms control and peace studies at the Institute for Peace Research and Security Policy in Hamburg, published his results there before becoming involved in open source and software development.
Software engineering and executive work
Björn Michaelsen is currently employed by freiheit.com, a German software company. Previously he was working for Canonical Ltd. where he was responsible for the packaging and development of LibreOffice for Ubuntu and was welcomed as someone having "a deep expertise on the LibreOffice core". Coming from Oracle (and before that Sun), where he was working on OpenOffice.org for a few years in the Writer/Framework area, he was later the first to tackle the 20-year old OpenOffice build system, with a portable GNU make-based approach, focusing on build speed.
Michaelsen joined LibreOffice in 2011 and became an appointed member of the Engineering Steering Committee from the beginning, was in the initial set of certified LibreOffice developers and championed multiple initiatives of the LibreOffice project, including the migration to a new improved build system. He is a member of the Board of Directors of The Document Foundation, and speaks frequently at open source events. He also created multiple LibreOffice extensions to showcase the power and simplicity of these.
- "TDF Chairwoman and Deputy Chairman announced". Retrieved 15 October 2018.
- "Bericht zur AKA-Fachsitzung bei der DPG-Frühjahrstagung 2004 in München (german)". Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Veröffentlichungen des IFSH Institut für Friedensforschung und Sicherheitspolitik (german)". Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Raketenabwehrforschung International, Bulletin No. 34, Die US-Ausgaben für Raketenabwehr: Einst und jetzt (german)" (PDF). Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "The Document Foundation welcomes Canonical contribution". h online (Heise). Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Ubuntu Touch to Get a LibreOffice Doc Viewer Soon". (Softpedia). Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Canonical unterstützt LibreOffice (german)". heise. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Canonical beteiligt sich an Entwicklung (german)". golem. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Development activity in LibreOffice and OpenOffice". LWN(LWN.net). Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Building OpenOffice.org with GNU make". Archived from the original on December 6, 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "gbuild: To boldly go where no build system has gone before ..." Archived from the original on November 19, 2010. Retrieved 1 October 2015.
- "Document Foundation appoints Engineering Steering Committee". h-online. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "The Document Foundation Reveals Its LibreOffice Certified Developers". softpedia. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "LibreOffice team to focus on hard bugs". h-online. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "LibreOffice to tackle critical bugs with HardHacks program". InfoWorld. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Michaelsen: One". LWN(LWN.net). Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Results Elections TDF Board of Directors". The Document Foundation. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "OpenOffice Ain't Dead Yet and TDF Conference". ostatic. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
Further highlights of the day include a keynote by Bjoern Michaelsen from Canonical [...].
- "Avanza CISL 2014 Expositores". Avanza CISL. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "Deutsche Bundes-Gesetzgebung in LibreOffice einbinden (german)". pro-linux. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "LibreOffice prints on Tuesdays (only)". Retrieved 29 September 2015.