Stroustrup in 2010
|Born||30 December 1950|
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Aarhus University (MSc)|
University of Cambridge (PhD)
University of Cambridge
Texas A&M University
|Thesis||Communication and control in distributed computer systems (1979)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Wheeler|
Bjarne Stroustrup (/
Stroustrup has a master's degree in mathematics and computer science (1975) from Aarhus University, Denmark, and a PhD in Computer science in 1979 from the University of Cambridge, England supervised by David Wheeler.
Stroustrup began developing C++ in 1979 (then called "C with Classes"), and, in his own words, "invented C++, wrote its early definitions, and produced its first implementation... chose and formulated the design criteria for C++, designed all its major facilities, and was responsible for the processing of extension proposals in the C++ standards committee." Stroustrup also wrote a textbook for the language, The C++ Programming Language.
Stroustrup was the head of AT&T Bell Labs' Large-scale Programming Research department, from its creation until late 2002. Stroustrup was elected member of the National Academy of Engineering in 2004. He was elected a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) in 1994 and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).[when?] From 2002 to 2014, Stroustrup was the College of Engineering Chair in Computer Science Professor at Texas A&M University. As of January 2014, Stroustrup is a Managing Director in the technology division of Morgan Stanley in New York City and a Visiting Professor in Computer Science at Columbia University.
Stroustrup has written or co-written a number of publications including the books A Tour of C++ Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ The C++ Programming Language, Design and Evolution of C++ and The Annotated C++ Reference Manual.
Awards and honors
Stroustrup won the Senior Dahl–Nygaard Prize in 2015. The same year, he was made a Fellow of the Computer History Museum for his invention of the C++ programming language. In 2017, the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) awarded him the Faraday Medal, for pioneering C++, one of the most influential programming languages in the history of computing. On January 3, 2018, Stroustrup was announced as the 2018 winner of the Charles Stark Draper Prize for Engineering, which comes with $500,000. He was named winner of 2018 Computer Pioneer Award of the IEEE Computer Society.
- "Stroustrup: Biographical Information". Stroustrup.com. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- Bjarne Stroustrup at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Stroustrup, Bjarne. "How do you pronounce "Bjarne Stroustrup?"". Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne. "Bjarne pronounces his own name". Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- Wong, William (29 October 2013). "Interview: Bjarne Stroustrup Discusses C++". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Bjarne Stroustrup's Homepage". Research.att.com. Archived from the original on 7 July 2000. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2010). "Viewpoint: What should we teach new software developers? Why?". Communications of the ACM. 53: 40. doi:10.1145/1629175.1629192.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1998). "The Real Stroustrup Interview" (PDF). Computer. 31 (6): 110–119. doi:10.1109/MC.1998.683014.
- "List of interviews with Bjarne Stroustrup". stroustrup.com.
- "A hoax interview transcript with IEEE's Computer magazine". harmful.cat-v.org.
- Wong, William (26 November 2013). "Bjarne Stroustrup: C++ Creator Keeps RUNE Developing". Electronic Design. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1979). Communication and control in distributed computer systems. jisc.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 219769715. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.474113.
- The C++ Programming Language, B. Stroustrup, p.10
- "Meet Bjarne Stroustrup (Video)". att.com. Archived from the original on 19 October 2006.
- "Computerworld Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup". computerworld.com.au. Archived from the original on 3 February 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 July 2007. Retrieved 27 June 2007.
- Communications, Texas A&M Engineering (8 September 2015). "Faculty - People - Computer Science & Engineering - College of Engineering". Cse.tamu.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "Department of Computer Science, Columbia University - Faculty". Cs.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- Bjarne Stroustrup at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Bjarne Stroustrup publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2013). A Tour of C++. Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 978-0321958310.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2008-12-29). Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley Professional. ISBN 0-321-54372-6.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (2013-05-23). The C++ Programming Language (4th ed.). Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-321-563840.
- Stroustrup, Bjarne (1994-03-29). Design and Evolution of C++ (1st ed.). Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-54330-3.
- Ellis, Margaret A.; Stroustrup, Bjarne (1990-01-01). The Annotated C++ Reference Manual. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 0-201-51459-1.
- "Ученый Совет НИУ ИТМО на заседании 25.06.2013 г. избрал Бьѐрна Страуструпа почетным доктором нашего университета" (PDF). Is.ifmo.ru. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- CHM. "Bjarne Stroustrup— CHM Fellow Award Winner". Archived from the original on 3 April 2015. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "IET Faraday Medal 2017". Topix.com. Retrieved 7 December 2017.[obsolete source]
- "Winner of 2017 IET Faraday Medal". Conferences.theiet.org. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "IET Awards - IET Conferences". Conferences.theiet.org. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- Computer Science Pioneer Bjarne Stroustrup to Receive the 2018 Charles Stark Draper Prize for Engineering
- "Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup Named Recipient of the 2018 IEEE-CS Computer Pioneer Award".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bjarne Stroustrup.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bjarne Stroustrup|