Black's Medical Dictionary
|Genre||Medical, Dictionaries & Terminology|
|Published||2010 (A&C Black, 2010)|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
|Pages||848 pp (42nd edition)|
Black's Medical Dictionary (42nd ed, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4081-0419-4) is a comprehensive medical dictionary featuring definitions of medical terms, concepts and conditions, published by A & C Black Publishers. It was first published in 1906, and is now in its forty-second edition. It is considered a simplified home reference for medical terms. According to the publisher, It contains over 5000 definitions and descriptions of medical terms and concepts with over 1000 diagrams.
The latest edition contains new and expanded sections on:
- HPV vaccine
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Fibroid treatment
- Endoscopy and laparoscopy
- Coronary angioplasty
- MRSA and stem cell research
List of editors
- John Dixon Comrie
- 1906 (1st edition) – 1942 (17th edition)
- H. A. Clegg
- 1944 (18th edition)
- W. A. R. Thomson
- 1948 (19th edition) – 1984 (34th edition)
- C. W. H. Havard
- 1987 (35th edition) – 1990 (36th edition)
- Gordon MacPherson
- 1992 (37th edition) – 2002 (40th edition)
- Harvey Marcovitch
- 2005 (41st edition) -
- "Black's Medical Dictionary". Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "ATTENTION BOOKSELLERS: IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING A&C BLACK" (PDF). Macmillan. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- "Catalogue record for 1906 ed". British Library. Retrieved May 7, 2014.