Black Creek Canal virus
|Black Creek Canal virus|
|Group:||Group V ((−)ssRNA)|
|Species:||Black Creek Canal virus|
Black Creek Canal virus (BCCV) is a single-stranded, negative sense RNA virus species of New World Hantavirus. It was first isolated in cotton rats (Sigmodon hispidus) found in the Black Creek Canal area of Dade County, Florida in 1995. The discovery followed from an isolated case of Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome diagnosed in a Dade County resident.
While several species are responsible for Hantavirus hemorrhagic fever syndrome (HFS) and Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS), each species of hantavirus is unique to a single reservoir. This makes host evolution and geography important factors in understanding transmission and prevention of spread of disease to humans. 
BCCV, like other species of hantavirus, is transmitted via droplet respiration when rodent excreta becomes aerosolized. The greater the concentration of rodent excreta, as occurs in seasonal use structures such as sheds, vacation cabins, and camp grounds, the greater the likelihood of transmission and infection.
- E. V. Ravkov, S. T. Nichol and R. W. Compans. Polarized entry and release in epithelial cells of Black Creek Canal virus, a New World hantavirus. J. Virology, Feb. 1997. Vol. 71, no 2. 1147-1154
- Zaki SR, Albers RC, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Armstrong LR, Khan AS, Khabbaz R, Peters CJ. Retrospective diagnosis of a 1983 case of fatal hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Lancet. 1994 Apr 23;343(8904):1037–1038.
- Zaki SR, Greer PW, Coffield LM, Goldsmith CS, Nolte KB, Foucar K, Feddersen RM, Zumwalt RE, Miller GL, Khan AS, et al. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Pathogenesis of an emerging infectious disease. Am J Pathol. 1995 Mar;146(3):552–579.
- Rollin PE, Ksiazek TG, Elliott LH, Ravkov EV, Martin ML, Morzunov S, Livingstone W, Monroe M, Glass G, Ruo S, et al. Isolation of black creek canal virus, a new hantavirus from Sigmodon hispidus in Florida. J Med Virol. 1995 May;46(1):35–39.
- Klein SL, Calisher CH.Emergence and persistence of hantaviruses.Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2007;315:217-52.
- "CDC - How People Get Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) - Hantavirus". Cdc.gov. 2012-08-29. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Hantaviruses, with emphasis on Four Corners Hantavirus" by Brian Hjelle, M.D., Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of New Mexico
- CDC's Hantavirus Technical Information Index page
- Viralzone: Hantavirus
- Virus Pathogen Database and Analysis Resource (ViPR): Bunyaviridae
- Occurrences and deaths in North and South America