Eglinton LRT Carhouse
When the Toronto Transit Commission finishes its Eglinton Crosstown LRT it will require an Eglinton LRT Carhouse to store offduty vehicles, and with maintenance facilities to keep the vehicles running smoothly. The carhouse is planned to be built near the line's western terminus at Mount Dennis LRT station, on lands formerly occupied by Kodak's Toronto campus.
The Eglinton line will use Flexity Freedom standard gauge rolling stock, and will not be connected to the TTC's current lines, which all use TTC broad gauge. The TTC's existing light rail and streetcar lines all use older Bombardier rolling stock, which are being replaced with TTC Flexity Outlook LRT rolling stock.
- Adam Hawkins (2011-05-30). "Doors Open: A tale of two carhouses". Urban Toronto. Archived from the original on 2013-03-29.
The TTC plans to convert the Scarborough RT from the troublesome ICTS technology to LRT and include it in the Eglinton Crosstown Line. While McCowan Carhouse could be retrofitted to handle LRT cars, its capacity is very limited and it’s boxed in by development on all sides, preventing any expansion. Instead, the TTC is likely to build a new carhouse at Eglinton and Black Creek Drive.
- John Lorinc (2012-11-23). "Down (but not out) Mount Dennis area pins hopes on Metrolinx". Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2013-03-28.
- Rahul Gupta (2012-12-12). "Meeting to provide details on LRT station in Mount Dennis". York Guardian. Archived from the original on 2013-03-29.
The Mount Dennis underground stop at Weston Road would serve as the line’s western terminus point, said Metrolinx spokesperson Jamie Robinson on Friday, Dec. 7.
- Steve Munro (2010-02-17). "Eglinton LRT: Trouble Brewing in Mt. Dennis (Update 2)". Archived from the original on 2015-03-04.
Some speakers addressed the use of the Kodak lands for the proposed carhouse, and asked that alternative schemes be considered. Part of this relates to a proposed “big box” development on the land. However, Council approved the acquisition of this property, by expropriation if necessary, in December.
- Roy Murray (2012-07-09). "Feedback on maintenance yard needed". Weston Web. Archived from the original on 2013-03-29.
- Tess Kalinowski (2010-02-16). "Residents ask TTC for LRT tunnel through Mount Dennis". Toronto Star. Archived from the original on 2013-03-29.
In addition to the $4.6 billion the province has committed to the Eglinton LRT, the centrepiece of Toronto's Transit City plan, the TTC also wants to build a carhouse on the old Kodak lands in Mount Dennis.
- Maintenance Storage Facility - Official Crosstown project website