Black Diamond, Alberta
|Town of Black Diamond|
Downtown Black Diamond on Alberta Highway 22
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Foothills No. 31|
|• Village||May 8, 1929|
|• Town||January 1, 1956|
|• Mayor||Glen Fagan|
|• Governing body||Black Diamond Town Council|
|• Land||3.84 km2 (1.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,159 m (3,802 ft)|
|• Density||702.7/km2 (1,820/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|Postal code span||T1S|
Black Diamond is a sister town to Turner Valley. It has a hospital, shops, hotels and residences, elementary school (K-6th grade), high school (7th-12th grade), hockey rink and a Boys and Girls Club. Black Diamond was so named on account of coal deposits near the original town site. Little oil or gas remains. It is located in the Municipal District of Foothills No. 31.
A three-kilometer trail next to the roadway between Black Diamond and Turner Valley is named the Friendship Trail.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Town of Black Diamond recorded a population of 2,700 living in 1,098 of its 1,108 total private dwellings, a 13.8% change from its 2011 population of 2,373. With a land area of 3.84 km2 (1.48 sq mi), it had a population density of 703.1/km2 (1,821.1/sq mi) in 2016.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Black Diamond had a population of 2,373 living in 945 of its 1,001 total dwellings, a 24.9% change from its 2006 population of 1,900. With a land area of 3.21 km2 (1.24 sq mi), it had a population density of 739.3/km2 (1,914.7/sq mi) in 2011.
The population of the Town of Black Diamond according to its 2009 municipal census is 2,308.
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Black Diamond" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 57. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. June 23, 2017. Retrieved June 25, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Place-names of Alberta. Ottawa: Geographic Board of Canada. 1928. p. 20.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2009-09-15). "Alberta 2009 Official Population List" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Black Diamond, Alberta.|
||Bragg Creek||Calgary||De Winton|
|Turner Valley||Longview||High River|