Black Dwarf (comics)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Cameo appearance: New Avengers #8 (September 2013)|
Full appearance: Infinity #1 (October 2013)
|Created by||Jonathan Hickman|
|Team affiliations||Black Order|
|Notable aliases||Cull Obsidian|
|Abilities||Super-Strength, unbreakable skin|
Black Dwarf first appeared in a one panel cameo in New Avengers #8 (September 2013) and was created by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opeña. His full appearance, along with a number of the other members of the Black Order, takes place in Infinity #1 (October 2013).
Fictional character biography
When Thanos targeted Earth as the next planet he would raze during the Infinity, Black Dwarf arrived in Wakanda. To his surprise, Black Dwarf found great resistance in that country and was forced to retreat. For his failure, Thanos expelled Black Dwarf from the Black Order.
Thanos gave Black Dwarf one more chance to prove himself by sending him to protect The Peak and keep it from being reclaimed by the Avengers following their fight against the Builders. During the fight against the Avengers, Black Dwarf was killed by Ronan the Accuser.
Powers and abilities
Black Dwarf has super-strength, enhanced density, and his skin is impenetrable.
In other media
- Black Dwarf appears in Avengers Assemble, but has no dialogue. He serves the Black Order under Thanos.
- Black Dwarf appears in Guardians of the Galaxy, voiced by Jesse Burch.
Black Dwarf, renamed Cull Obsidian, appears in Avengers: Infinity War, voiced and motion-captured by Terry Notary. As in the comics, he is a member of the Children of Thanos and the Black Order. Obsidian assists Ebony Maw in an attempt to take the Time Stone from Doctor Strange. After being teleported to Antarctica by Wong, Obsidian jumped for the portal but Wong closed it, severing Obsidian's arm in the process. After getting a robotic arm, Obsidian appears in the Battle of Wakanda. Obsidian fights Bruce Banner wearing the Hulkbuster armor. He manages to break off the arm of the Hulkbuster armor, but Banner attaches the arm repulsor to Obsidian's body, sending him flying toward the Wakandan shield, which leads to his death.
- Black Dwarf appears as a mini-boss in Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- Black Dwarf, in his Cull Obsidian alias, appears as a boss and unlockable playable character in Marvel Future Fight.
- Black Dwarf, in his Cull Obsidian alias, appears as a playable character in the "Infinity War" DLC for Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2.
- Infinity #1
- New Avengers vol. 3 #8
- New Avengers vol. 3 #10
- Avengers vol. 5 #22
- Avengers vol. 5 #23
- Avengers #681. Marvel Comics.
- "Voice of Black Dwarf". Behind the Voice Actors. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Hall, Jacob (July 15, 2017). "The Minions of Thanos in 'Avengers: Infinity War' Have Been Revealed [D23 Expo 2017]". /Film. Archived from the original on July 15, 2017.
- Shanley, Patrick (March 10, 2017). "'Skull Island': Kong Motion-Capture Actor on Sequel Plans and Seeking Andy Serkis' Blessing". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on March 10, 2017. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Fullerton, Huwav (April 16, 2018). "Fargo's Carrie Coon to play crucial Avengers: Infinity War villain". Radio Times. Archived from the original on April 16, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Fahey, Mike (August 23, 2013). "Maybe Avengers Alliance Can Make Sense Of Marvel's Infinity Event". Kotaku. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Staff (March 21, 2016). "MARVEL FUTURE FIGHT THANOS' BLACK ORDER TRAILER". Cosmic Book News. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Gets Infinity War DLC". ComingSoon.net. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.