Black Knight (Nathan Garrett)
|First appearance||Tales to Astonish #52 (February 1964)|
|Created by||Stan Lee|
|Alter ego||Nathan Garrett|
|Team affiliations||Masters of Evil|
Legion of the Unliving
Skilled electrical engineer and equestrian
Wears body armor
Rides a flying horse
Use of advanced weaponry
Nathan Garrett, also known as the criminal Black Knight, is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He was a supervillain and descendant of the original Black Knight, and was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist and co-plotter Dick Ayers.
Professor Nathan Garrett debuted as the modern-day supervillain Black Knight in Tales to Astonish vol. 1, #52 (Feb. 1964). This villainous Black Knight appeared in The Avengers vol. 1, #6, 14-15 (July 1964, March–April 1965), and in the feature "Iron Man" in Tales of Suspense vol. 1, #73 (Jan. 1966), in which he was mortally wounded.
Fictional character biography
Professor Nathan Garrett is the distant direct descendant of Sir Percy, and was born in London, England. He becomes a biologist, research scientist, and university professor. He then became the head of an espionage ring, and was captured by the hero Giant-Man. Garrett fled to Europe, where he found Sir Percy's tomb and the Ebony Blade. Garrett's evil tendencies make him unworthy of wielding the sword, and he is shunned by Sir Percy's ghost. The embittered Garrett then devises an arsenal of medieval weapons that employ modern technology (including a lance that fired bolts of energy) and genetically engineers and creates a winged horse called Aragorn. Calling himself the "Black Knight", Garrett embarks on a career as a professional criminal to spite his ancestor. He battled Giant-Man again and the Wasp but is defeated.
Garrett joins the supervillain team the Masters of Evil at the request of master villain Baron Heinrich Zemo, and spread Adhesive X over the city. However, with the help of jailed villain Paste-Pot Pete, the Avengers find an antidote and the Teen Brigade apply it to the containers, causing it to free people. The Black Knight is defeated by Thor, as Captain America had decided to catch the Masters of Evil off guard by the Avengers 'switching' foes. He later attacked Stark Industries' plant to lure the hero Iron Man into battle, and was defeated. Alongside the Masters of Evil, he again battled the Avengers and is captured. The Black Knight was among the villains assembled by Doctor Doom to destroy the Fantastic Four.
Garrett kidnaps Happy Hogan and falls from his winged horse while trying to kill Iron Man. Mortally wounded, the dying Garrett summons his nephew Dane Whitman to their family estate and reveals his secret identity and repents for his life of crime, deciding to adopt the Black Knight identity himself.
After his death, Garrett is resurrected by Immortus as a member of the Legion of the Unliving. He battled Hank Pym once more, and "dies" again. His horse is found by Victoria Frankenstein, great-granddaughter of Victor Frankenstein (creator of Frankenstein's Monster) who, using her ancestor's methods, tried to restore it to normal, but instead only mutated it further. Now called the Hellhorse, it later became the property of the supervillain Dreadknight.
Powers and abilities
Nathan Garrett was a normal man with gifted intelligence. He had a Ph.D. in genetics, and was a brilliant biologist specializing in genetic engineering, and was a skilled electrical engineer as well.
Garrett created a power-lance which fired heat beams, electrical charges, and concussive electromagnetic force beams. He also used a rope as a lasso, steel cables as bolas, red-hot spinning metal discs, and electrical energy-drainers which resembled doughnuts. He carried a paralyzer pistol which fired nerve gas which could paralyze or kill an opponent. He wore body armor made of an unknown steel alloy.
He was a skilled equestrian, and rode a winged flying horse that he created by genetic engineering.
In the Heroes Reborn universe, created by Franklin Richards, the Black Knight appeared as a member of Loki's Masters of Evil. He is killed by Doctor Doom when he tries to gain an "audience" with him.[volume & issue needed]
In other media
- The Nathan Garrett version of Black Knight appeared in the "Captain America" and "Iron Man" segments of The Marvel Super Heroes, voiced by Len Carlson.
- The Nathan Garrett version of Black Knight appears in Iron Man: Armored Adventures, voiced by Alistair Abell. He appears in episodes "Pepper Interrupted", "Line of Fire", and "The Hammer Falls", as a silent Maggia enforcer for Count Nefaria.
- Black Knight (Nathan Garrett) appears as a playable character in the Masters of Evil DLC pack for Lego Marvel's Avengers.
- Black Knight (Nathan Garrett) appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. He and Enchantress are sent into the Medieval England part of Chronopolis where they take over Sir Percy's castle. Nathan Garrett then poses as Sir Percy until he was exposed by Captain Avalon. Captain America, Captain Avalon, Doctor Strange and Star-Lord were able to defeat Garrett and Enchantress and free Sir Percy.
- Nathan Garrett appears in The Avengers: United They Stand comics where he attempts to steal a device from the organization AIM.
- Tales to Astonish vol. 1 #52
- Avengers vol. 1 #6
- Tales of Suspense #59
- Avengers vol. 1 #15-16
- Fantastic Four Annual #3
- Tales of Suspense vol. 1 #73
- Avengers vol. 1 #48
- Avengers West Coast #61
- Iron Man #101
- Iron Man Vol. 2 #10
- The Marvel Super Heroes on TV! Book One: Iron Man (2017) - by J. Ballmann, ISBN 9 781545 345658
- The Avengers: United They Stand #4