Black Label Media
Black Label Media is a Los Angeles based independent film production, television production, podcast, entertainment and finance company founded in 2013. The company had a 25 percent stake in La La Land (2016).
The founders are Molly Smith, the daughter of billionaire Frederick W. Smith who founded FedEx and invested in the company. And Thad Luckinbill, an actor on Young and the Restless for 11 years, and twin brother Trent Luckinbill.
The origins of Black Label Media were started as Belle Pictures, an affiliated production company of Alcon Entertainment and Warner Bros., but the company soon underwent name change, with Black Label Media's intentions was to focus on adult, mid-level budget fare, for greater flexibility and autonomy.
On April 12, 2016, the company launched its television division with a deal at ABC Signature and ABC Studios, to develop television and movie projects. On April 24, 2017, two of Black Label Media's projects, like Only the Brave and Sicario: Day of the Soldado, were transferred from Lionsgate to Sony Pictures.
On June 27, 2019, it expanded to podcasts with a deal at the Bleav Podcast Network. On February 11, 2020, Alcon Entertainment teamed up with Black Label Media to purchase the film rights to Postscript. On September 4, 2020, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that it would acquire Devotion, with STX Entertainment handling international rights of the picture, with Black Label Media producing.
- Begin Again (2013)
- The Good Lie (2014)
- '71 (2014)
- Demolition (2015)
- Sicario (2015)
- Breaking a Monster (2015)
- La La Land (2016)
- Rebel in the Rye (2017)
- Only the Brave (2017)
- 12 Strong (2018)
- Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)
- Sierra Burgess Is a Loser (2018)
- Broken Diamonds (2021)
- Reptile (2022)
- Devotion (2022)
- Brooks Barnes (October 16, 2017). "How Black Label Media Became Hollywood's Hottest Indie Producers". Town & Country. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (2012-03-09). "Molly Smith forms Belle Pictures with Alcon". Variety. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- Piper-Shimizu, Stephane (2018-01-10). "Molly Smith". Variety. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2016-04-12). "Black Label Media Inks First-Look TV Deal With ABC Signature & ABC Studios". Deadline. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- McNary, Dave (2017-04-24). "'Sicario' Sequel, 'Granite Mountain' Move From Lionsgate to Sony". Variety. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- Hipes, Patrick (2019-06-27). "Black Label Media Expanding To Podcasts With Bleav Deal". Deadline. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- N'Duka, Amanda (2020-02-11). "Alcon Entertainment Picks Up Film Rights To 'P.S. I Love You' Follow-Up Novel 'Postscript'". Deadline. Retrieved 2021-12-19.
- Wiseman, Andreas (2020-09-04). "Sony Pre-Buys Domestic On War Pic 'Devotion' With Jonathan Majors & Glen Powell, STX Boards Int'l". Deadline. Retrieved 2021-12-19.