This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Associated acts||Damo Suzuki|
Black Midi (stylised as black midi) are an experimental rock band from London, England. The band consists of Geordie Greep (vocals, guitar), Matt Kwasniewski-Kelvin (vocals, guitar), Cameron Picton (vocals, bass) and Morgan Simpson (drums). Their name is derived from the Japanese music genre Black MIDI. Their debut album Schlagenheim was released on 21 June 2019.
Prior to the formation of the band, Geordie Greep had separate jam sessions with Matt Kwasniewski-Kelvin and Morgan Simpson, all of whom (alongside Cameron Picton) were attending Brit School. In 2016, while studying at The BRIT School, Greep and Kwasniewski-Kelvin enlisted Simpson to form a band, with Greep and Kelvin on guitar and vocals, and with Simpson on drums. Picton joined later, on bass guitar, to complete the lineup.
On 8 June 2018, the group released their debut single titled "Bmbmbm" released on producer Dan Carey's record label Speedy Wunderground. On 26 September 2018, a cassette was released featuring segments of a performance with Damo Suzuki which took place on 5 May 2018.
The band performed at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas in March 2019. On 23 January 2019, the group released their second single, "Speedway". A 12" vinyl record was released featured remixes by Proc Fiskal, Kwake Bass, and Blanck Mass.
In January 2019 the group announced that they had signed to Rough Trade Records. The group then released their first two singles on the label in March and April 2019, "Crows Perch" and "Talking Heads" respectively. On 14 May, the group announced their debut album titled Schlagenheim, which was released 21 June 2019. The album was recorded in 2018 with producer Dan Carey.
- Geordie Greep – vocals, guitar
- Matt Kwasniewski-Kelvin – vocals, guitar
- Cameron Picton – vocals, bass
- Morgan Simpson – drums
- Schlagenheim (2019)
- "Bmbmbm" (2018)
- "Speedway" (2019)
- "Crow's Perch" (2019)
- "Talking Heads" (2019)
- "Black Midi – "Talking Heads"". Spin. 30 April 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Black Midi Share New Track 'Talking Heads' | Gigwise". gigwise.com. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- Leas, Ryan. "Band To Watch: Black Midi". Stereogum. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
- Connick, Tom. "Inside the buzz of Black Midi". https://crackmagazine.net/article/long-reads/inside-the-buzz-of-black-midi/. External link in
- "Band To Watch: Black Midi". Stereogum. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Get to Know black midi, a New Type of British Guitar Band". Pitchfork. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "black midi Announce New Album Schlagenheim". Pitchfork. Retrieved 23 May 2019.