Black Milk performing live in 2012.
|Birth name||Curtis Cross|
|Born||August 14, 1983|
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, United States|
|Genres||Hip hop, Midwest hip hop, Detroit hip hop|
|Instruments||Drums, Turntable, Sampler, Keyboards, Synthesizer, Fender Rhodes, Drum Machine|
|Labels||Fat Beats, Decon|
|Associated acts||B.R. Gunna, Danny Brown, Elzhi, Bishop Lamont, Random Axe, Sean Price, Guilty Simpson, Slum Village, Jack White|
In 2004, Black Milk formed B.R. Gunna with Young RJ and Fat Ray. Together they released Dirty District: Vol. 2, a follow up to a compilation released in 2001 by Slum Village, to which Black Milk had contributed production. In 2005, he released a solo album, Sound of the City, Vol. 1, signing a record contract with Fat Beats Records in 2006 (Fat Beats is currently distributed by Koch Entertainment, the largest independent distributor in the U.S.). In the fall of 2006, he released an EP, titled Broken Wax, and handled most of the production on T3's Olio mixtape. On March 13, 2007, he released his second album, Popular Demand.
Black Milk released an album with Fat Ray entitled The Set Up on March 4, 2008, and his third official solo release "Tronic" on October 28, 2008. He also handled the majority of production on Elzhi's album The Preface, released August 12. (He also produced four of the tracks on Elzhi's "The Leftovers Unmixedtape" project, released on December 11, 2009.)
On December 25, 2009, Black Milk leaked the first single from his upcoming album Album of the Year. The song is called "Keep Going". He also released two more singles named "Welcome (Gotta Go)" and "Deadly Medley" featuring Royce da 5'9" and Elzhi. On August 22, 2010, he released the music video for "Deadly Medley", which featured Royce da 5'9" and Elzhi. On September 14, he released Album of the Year through Fat Beats and Decon.
In March 2011, Black Milk released a 7" single entitled "Brain". The single was the result of a collaboration between Black Milk and his band (AB, Daru Jones and Malik Hunter) and Jack White of the White Stripes. A B Side, titled "Royal Mega", was also released.
On October 15, 2013, Black Milk released his a new album titled No Poison No Paradise, which included features from Black Thought of The Roots, Mel, Robert Glasper, Dwele, Quelle Chris, Ab and Tone Trezure, as well as additional production from Will Sessions.
On March 4, 2014 Black Milk released an entirely self-produced EP titled Glitches In The Break. The project consists of nine previously unreleased tracks and features guest appearances from Guilty Simpson and Fat Ray. A 12" vinyl edition of the EP was made available on Saturday, April 19.
On October 28, 2014, Black Milk released his sixth album titled If There's a Hell Below, features guest appearances by Blu, Bun B, Mel, Ab, Pete Rock, Gene Obey, and Random Axe.
Musical Style And Influences
Cross cites some of his main musical influences as J Dilla, Easy Mo Bee, Pete Rock, Questlove, A Tribe Called Quest, and De La Soul. His music is very soulful, as he was raised on the sounds of the latter two in the 80s and 90s. The late producer J Dilla had a large impact on him with his soul-influenced, jazzy beats.
|2005||Sound of the City||—||—|
|2010||Album of the Year||136||28|
|2013||No Poison No Paradise||—||—|
|2014||If There's a Hell Below||—||40|
- Dirty District Vol. 2 (2004) (with Young RJ as B.R. Gunna)
- Caltroit (2008) (with Bishop Lamont)
- The Set Up (2008) (with Fat Ray)
- The Preface (2008) (with Elzhi)
- Random Axe (2011) (with Sean Price and Guilty Simpson as Random Axe)
- Black & Brown EP (2011) (with Danny Brown)
- Burning Stones (2013) (with Mel)
- "Sound the Alarm" (2006)
- "Shut It Down" (2007)
- "Stern" (2007)
- "Give the Drummer Sum" (2008)
- "Welcome" (2010)
- "Don Cornelius" (2010)
- "Brain" b/w "Royal Mega" (2011) (with Jack White)
- Jake One - "I'm Coming" from White Van Music (2008)
- Elzhi - "Fire (Rmx)" from The Preface (2008)
- Guilty Simpson - "Run" from Ode to the Ghetto (2008)
- Nottz - "Blast That" from You Need This Music (2010)
- Apollo Brown - "Hungry" from The Reset (2010)
- Georgia Anne Muldrow & Declaime - "Heaven or Hell" from Heaven or Hell (2010)
- Cadik - "Let It Free" from Travel Agency (2010)
- Black Milk x BADBADNOTGOOD - "Now or Never" from CONS EP Vol. 2 (2014)
- Marisa Brown (1983-08-14). "Black Milk | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Zwicker, Kristen (2011-04-19). "Q&A: Black Milk | Music, Blogs, The Volume blog | reviews, guides, things to do, film - Time Out New York". Newyork.timeout.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Jones, Kevin. "Black Milk’s Reign ", Exclaim!, December 2008.
- "Black Milk Announces New LP 'No Poison, No Paradise' Okayplayer". Okayplayer.com. 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Paine, Jake (2011-10-26). "Black Milk & Danny Brown Offer Free Stream Of "Black And Brown" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Black Milk.|